Just had to have it - stuff you've bought for the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Reading another thread, brought this question up. Is there anything you just had to have for the bike ?

Me - In local bike shop, and happened to see a pair of pedals in the early 90's. They had been used a couple of times but were down to a reduced price of £100 (they were around £150 new - mucho expensive in the 90's). I just had to get them. Metallic white Campag Record Looks ! Despite everything else being Dura Ace, these matched the frame !

I didn't need new pedals.

Same went for the Carbo-Pro pedals on my Ribble - the red matched a stripe on the frame, and when I saw a really good set on ebay, boom bought - again didn't need any new pedals, but sold the old ones on.

Pedals to me are are a bit like shoes to other folk. I'll also only have XT SPD pedals on my other bikes.

D

Deleted member 26715

I find that whether I need them or not a just have to have a tyre for each wheel

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Remember my first bike upon returning to cycling. A late 90s Marin MTB in polished silver. Gleaming in the sunshine.

I just had to partner it with a fat, hairy rider to neutralise the glow of the bike.

Here were are, still together many years later.

Bottle cage to match paintwork....WTF :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
The ashtray was just a bit excessive I guess.

Beaten to it by a minute. Damn!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I just had to have a traditional canvas or leather,seat stem and saddle mounted saddlebag,so i bought a locally made Carradice https://www.carradice.co.uk/ saddlebag for my Ridgeback audax/touring bike,about five years ago. When loaded up it affected my balance and even though it cost a hundred and forty quid with the supporting frame included,it faded very quickly in the sun. It went from black to grey in about 500 miles.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I just had to have a traditional canvas or leather,seat stem and saddle mounted saddlebag,so i bought a locally made Carradice https://www.carradice.co.uk/ saddlebag for my Ridgeback audax/touring bike,about five years ago. When loaded up it affected my balance and even though it cost a hundred and forty quid with the supporting frame included,it faded very quickly in the sun. It went from black to grey in about 500 miles.:thumbsdown:
Didn't you know that the more faded/battered a Carradice looks the cooler it is, they also benefit from getting rained on regularly a bit like Tents.

Incidentally my mate John at OTT festival has the coolest tent, a 30+ year old Vango 'Force Ten' that's nearly white with just a vague hint of its original orange

Top Bottom