Just having a giggle - Charity Rides and 'beginners'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lincov

I've been worrying about doing 100k in June, with plans to do as much training as I can fit in between now and then! That makes me feel much better (for no good reason!).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a similar situation to the many thousands of people who do the L2B without having so much as ridden a bike since they had stabilizers.
Then afterwards they wonder why they found it so hard going.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Ask if he has a masseuse traveling with him! I did (my mum) but also did a small bit of cycling before then and I was struggling on the last day (it was wadebridge lands end though)

Fair play to him though, most people I know think a sponsored ride from Bristol to bath on the cycle track is beyond them and where shocked when I said I did it for fun every single Monday morning

Mickthemove

Über Member
My pal done the London Paris with very little bike time! He thought it would be a breeze as he had done a few mini triathlons and lost 4 stone in 6 months! IT NEARLY KILLED HIM! And oh how we laughed, when he walked a bit oddly for weeks. Black and blue in the nether regions I heard from his better half lololol. On the plus side for him, he did finish it, just

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A young colleague (about 21/22 years old I guess) told me today he is going to Japan in the spring, exploring the country on rented bikes. He last cycled a few years ago, now plays football and runs 5 miles with his uni club.
So I ask the logical questions: how many miles a day will you ride, are you training now, you know a rented bike is not the same as your own, will you be cycling in traffic ....
Answers: dunno, 60/70 miles, maybe, my pal's organizing it, don't have a bike, we will have long breaks between cities ...
Me: you will have very sore bits, trust me on this :thumbsup:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
It's a similar situation to the many thousands of people who do the L2B without having so much as ridden a bike since they had stabilizers.
Then afterwards they wonder why they found it so hard going.

When we did the London to Paris, a group of us were setting off each day an hour after the main bunch had left and finishing up to three hours before them.

Where we were doing the days ride in five hours others were out there for nine hours.

Looking back who did the real challenge, us or them.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'd say an awful lot depends on the route. If it's fairly flat and they get lucky with a saddle/bum combination that doesn't give them too much grief, then 8 hours at 10mph might not be a big deal. However, throw in some steep and/or prolonged gradients, an uncomfortable saddle, and a bike that doesn't really fit, and they're in trouble almost from the off. Any idea what the route looks like yet?

Top Bottom