Just home from my first sportive & absolutely buzzing !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Well a little over 6 weeks or so now that I introduced myself on CC after riding my MTB around the local roads & really enjoying it I thought it was something that I'd like to do more of , after a few rides on the MTB I started to get the road bike itch with the help of a few mates saying " get a proper bike ! "

image.jpg

Well after getting the go ahead from mrs tiny & asking for & receiving some fantastic advise from all of you on here I visited my local Giant store & a week later I come home with this new baby my defy advanced 2 .

image.jpg

I've been out alone on the defy for the last 3 weeks or so & was shocked at how comfortable the bike was to ride & how quickly I was gobbling up the miles I'd got the bug well & truely & found myself signing up for my first ever sportive the pedal for J's hospice event starting & finishing at Admirals park Chelmsford

Well that was today just a little over 50 miles I'd never been that distance without a rest stop but was determined to do so today

And boy I done it & loved every single second of it , it was fantastic buzzing along with other riders joining little groups & then moving onto other groups & before long I'd finished an absolutely amazing feeling it was to , here's me at the end with my 1st ever cycling medal !

And yes I'm well proud of it , this time 2 year ago I was well over 24 stone a massive change in eating habits coupled with hard work in the gym now I'm just a little over 15 stone hence the skeleton Jersey !

image.jpg

Here's my little Strava picture I had no idea how long it was going to take me & after 25 miles I was 1 hour 30 so was thinking anything under 3 hours I'd be very happy with , yes I know it's not a race but I'm the kind that likes to push myself & push a bit more , really pleased after only starting cycling 6 weeks ago & first ever road bike ride was 4 weeks ago I'm well happy & found something that I really enjoy :smile:

image.jpg

Another sportive planned for next Sunday here in Essex the " ride for Helen " I've entered choosing the 65 Mile route so a bit further but I tell you it can't come quick enough !!

Still buzzing , now time for tea & a bit of rest & relaxation

Thanks for reading :smile:

Mrs M

Guru
Well a little over 6 weeks or so now that I introduced myself on CC after riding my MTB around the local roads & really enjoying it I thought it was something that I'd like to do more of , after a few rides on the MTB I started to get the road bike itch with the help of a few mates saying " get a proper bike ! "

View attachment 126760

Well after getting the go ahead from mrs tiny & asking for & receiving some fantastic advise from all of you on here I visited my local Giant store & a week later I come home with this new baby my defy advanced 2 .

View attachment 126759

I've been out alone on the defy for the last 3 weeks or so & was shocked at how comfortable the bike was to ride & how quickly I was gobbling up the miles I'd got the bug well & truely & found myself signing up for my first ever sportive the pedal for J's hospice event starting & finishing at Admirals park Chelmsford

Well that was today just a little over 50 miles I'd never been that distance without a rest stop but was determined to do so today

And boy I done it & loved every single second of it , it was fantastic buzzing along with other riders joining little groups & then moving onto other groups & before long I'd finished an absolutely amazing feeling it was to , here's me at the end with my 1st ever cycling medal !

And yes I'm well proud of it , this time 2 year ago I was well over 24 stone a massive change in eating habits coupled with hard work in the gym now I'm just a little over 15 stone hence the skeleton Jersey !

View attachment 126757

Here's my little Strava picture I had no idea how long it was going to take me & after 25 miles I was 1 hour 30 so was thinking anything under 3 hours I'd be very happy with , yes I know it's not a race but I'm the kind that likes to push myself & push a bit more , really pleased after only starting cycling 6 weeks ago & first ever road bike ride was 4 weeks ago I'm well happy & found something that I really enjoy :smile:

View attachment 126756

Another sportive planned for next Sunday here in Essex the " ride for Helen " I've entered choosing the 65 Mile route so a bit further but I tell you it can't come quick enough !!

Still buzzing , now time for tea & a bit of rest & relaxation

Thanks for reading :smile:
Well done

Renmurew

Veteran
Wow, well done you. Fantastic achievement. Great distance and amazing time. Looks like you better buy a trophy cabinet for all the medals you will be collecting.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well done, truly life changing!

Not wanting to throw a possible negative in here, but, You may want to check the minimum insert line on your seat post, it looks very long.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As you've found, riding in a group can be like being at a party but not stuck in the kitchen.

No need to limit your group riding fun to sportives.

You've chalked off 50 miles at 15+mph, so would slot well into a club.

Clubs don't suit everyone, but it's worth giving a couple a try.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Well done, truly life changing!

Not wanting to throw a possible negative in here, but, You may want to check the minimum insert line on your seat post, it looks very long.

Yes , thankyou

Seat post was set up by the guys @ Giant who fitted me with the bike , the minimum insert line isn't visible & can come out further if required , I'm 6'5" tall with inside leg 35" & so comfortable on the bike :smile:

What a thoroughly uplifting story. Very well done to you and I think that you've done extremely well and what a pleasure to see that you have enjoyed it so much. Love the bike, too - I have the Defy 1 and I am very happy with it. First time I have ever treated myself to a new bike and, as you have found out, they are great machines.

Well done once more and keep at it :smile:

Stevec047

Über Member
Well done thats great and inspires me to push further.

I was around the area today writtle arear with my boys and just seeing all those bikes just made me want to get out there and join in.

I will definatly be putting my name down for this next year.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Congratulations. Well done on losing the weight and doing the sportive. Nice bike as well.

Top Bottom