Just how accurate is the GPS on a smartphone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

Ah, maybe there's a flaw in my thinking.

I assumed you could pre-load maps via USB. My mobile connection does not have data and I assume that's how maps would be loaded in the field.

ohnovino

Large Member
Ah, maybe there's a flaw in my thinking.

I assumed you could pre-load maps via USB. My mobile connection does not have data and I assume that's how maps would be loaded in the field.

A lot of apps allow you do download maps when you're on wi-fi and store them for offline use. I mostly use Locus, but Google Maps does that now too.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Yes, true. I could use wifi. Thanks for pointing it out. Just pleased to realise my plan is still a goer! :smile:

OP
OP
Y

yello

My Samsung GT-I550 arrived yesterday and I'd say the GPS isn't as accurate as my Edge 305. Sitting indoors, the Edge has my position exactly whilst the Samsung thinks I'm 12km away! It seems to locate me outdoors though.

Also, the Google Navigator app doesn't seem to work off-line and I need a data connection to plot a route. Fortunately, I found Navfree and that downloads maps (open street map) and uses those. I'm going to give it a trial run later.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Tested yesterday evening (in the car) and the GPS is good and the Navfree app works a treat (given the limitations of the maps). It'll certainly work for me for my intended purpose.

The GPS is also now correctly finding my position at home indoors too... it seemingly only needed to get a decent fix outdoors to 'blow the cobwebs out' or somesuch.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Ha! Literally just noticed on the phone that there's an update for Google maps/navigator. Downloaded it and it allows off-line storage of map segments! Useful.

Sadly, for reasons I don't understand, it isn't finding my location despite the 2 GPS test apps I have (and Navfree) being able to pinpoint me exactly.

I'm not going outside to test it now though, the thermometer is showing 42c. Bit too warm for my liking.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Pah, off-line map storage it may now have but Google Maps/Navigation still needs a data connection!

Gave Navfree a real word test today when I went for a 30km ride and asked it, at the half way point, to take me home. Worked fine - within the limitations of the map. Maps around here (openstreetmap) are not complete, so do not have the little communal roads (like d roads) which I like to ride. It tracks me across open space and when I rejoin a road it knows about, it recalcs the route and starts to direct again. I'd say that was a result personally. £60 well spent.

Top Bottom