Just how does that work ??? !!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It's a logic process. If wakeword heard, then process following words. If wakeword not heard, do nothing.

Now you might live in a house with 3 children called Alexa, Echo and Computer, in which case it's quite possible you might trigger the wakeword a little too much for your comfort. This subject has been examined by security researchers often, there's no evidence that Amazon (or Apple) are listening to everything and adjusting your advertising to suit. Again, confirmation bias. A bit like you never see that green car you liked, but when you bought one they're everywhere.
Thanks. Sorry for the apparently combative responses; playing devil‘s advocate a bit as I am interested in your input. I agree with your confirmation bias diagnosis to some extent, although there are other factors and algorithms at play from other interactions (website cookies, search phrases, adjacencies etc) which may influence what you see in a way that appears targeted.

To semantics though - in order for a device to register and react to the trigger word it must always be ‘listening’. It may or may not also be ‘hearing’.

dodgy

Yeah, I understand what you’re saying. I very much doubt these smart assistants never misinterpret a wake word, but there’s no evidence these things are basically broadcasting everything into the big advertising machine. I’m pretty risk averse, penetration tester for almost 30 years but I’m happy to use them. As long as you have considered what you’re happy with and made choices accordingly it’s fine.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I might even be flattered to learn that anybody is that interested in my daily existence! I too am content to have devices around me - smart phone, tablet, smart watch, Echoes, even the TV; I’ll have a notional look through the privacy settings and disable anything that appears unnecessary.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I’m pretty risk averse, penetration tester for almost 30 years but I’m happy to use them.
Oh so am I, I'm not paranoid about these things. My shoulder shrug gif was at your two word answer of "confirmation bias"... it was me basically going "I can't really work out what points those two words are addressing, or what the point you're making is, and I don't have time to ask." I have more time now and you've also since expanded, so I understand your point!

I can't say for sure that Alexa is always listening *and* feeding key words into search results, I only idly suspect so.
I don't agree that it can only be confirmation bias that is at play when I see very well targeted ads on my phone every day (from Google searches of course), and then I see one about say, holidays to the Seychelles only ten minutes after my wife has just told me that her boss at work has just been there, yet I've never thought about the place. There is some odd stuff goes on, I'm not saying Google are feeding everything to the security services (they're absolutely not), but my phone is listening for sure, and Google are using key words, of that much I am convinced by what I've seen and by what I've read. I accept that it's not especially scientific.

dodgy

Oh so am I, I'm not paranoid about these things. My shoulder shrug gif was at your two word answer of "confirmation bias"... it was me basically going "I can't really work out what points those two words are addressing, or what the point you're making is, and I don't have time to ask." I have more time now and you've also since expanded, so I understand your point!

I can't say for sure that Alexa is always listening *and* feeding key words into search results, I only idly suspect so.
I don't agree that it can only be confirmation bias that is at play when I see very well targeted ads on my phone every day (from Google searches of course), and then I see one about say, holidays to the Seychelles only ten minutes after my wife has just told me that her boss at work has just been there, yet I've never thought about the place. There is some odd stuff goes on, I'm not saying Google are feeding everything to the security services (they're absolutely not), but my phone is listening for sure, and Google are using key words, of that much I am convinced by what I've seen and by what I've read. I accept that it's not especially scientific.
I have no experience of Google assistants. Given their business is 95% advertising I understand the suspicion.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not saying Google are feeding everything to the security services (they're absolutely not)...

There is one way to tell for sure, but you may not want to take the chance... Talk about the planning for some imminent imaginary terrorist outrage, and mention that you have stored the bomb under your bed. If armed police kick your door in at 3 am and are followed by the bomb squad who head straight for your bedroom, I think that would be good evidence that Big Brother WAS listening! :okay:

Reactions: gbb

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You're saying Amazon Alexa listens continuously?

There are several stories like this one

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/afr...-caught-ordering-items-off-amazons-alexa.html

byegad

Legendary Member
Just wait 'till we all get the vaccine, you will just think of a product and boom, it's in your Amazon shopping basket. :laugh::laugh:.
Having my jab on Friday morning, I expect a telepathic message from Bill Gates soon after. ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^
Lady Byegad has hers on Sunday. I'll be interested to see if Bill can control her. I can't and I've been married to her for 27 yrs!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I h
If you have a smartphone or an Echo device (or similar) the microphone can be active, you'll have agreed to it in the Ts and Cs (even if you don't specifically remember it) that Google can collect your preferences and use them to make suggestions. Bit scary isn't it.

To prove it to yourself, say something that you wouldn't normally say out loud a few times, and bingo, you'll be seeing adverts for it on your browser before you know it.

And Bald and Bankrupt is great isn't he, I loved his India journeys!
I keep forgetting to try this. Many months ago i had a similar experience and thought 'im going to say pink elephants out loud when i have my phone with me or near the Alexa and see if it works ?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I h

I keep forgetting to try this. Many months ago i had a similar experience and thought 'im going to say pink elephants out loud when i have my phone with me or near the Alexa and see if it works ?

It's better with something you can actually get, if you say Pink Elephants it's probably not going to trigger anything useful from Amazon. But let's say you've never considered wearing (for instance) "Hunter" wellies, or never considered buying a snooker table, try talking about them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I still suspect that our devices are listening to more than we think!

I know that my phone listens out for music playing nearby because I enabled its 'Now Playing' feature. It has a history list of several thousand songs played near it since I bought the phone a couple of years ago.

I think it is listening to more than just music though... I went to my dentist today. As I was about to leave the surgery, I mentioned that my Oral B toothbrush was slowing down; its battery seems to be on its last legs. The dentist had some discount vouchers for Oral B devices and handed me one. 10 minutes later I walked back into my house and as soon as my phone picked up my wifi signal, it went online and downloaded my latest emails. I took a look. Above my emails, Outlook was displaying an ad... "Thinking about buying a new Oral B toothbrush?" :eek:

I searched for 'Oral B' a few weeks ago so that might explain it. This could be another example of confirmation bias so I am carrying out an experiment... I had 2 pretend conversations next to the phone. One was for something that I have never searched for or spoken about. The other was for something that I may have searched for in the distant past, but not recently. I won't even tell you what they are until have given Google a chance to give itself away! :whistle:

Top Bottom