Just not strict enough....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anybody add anything to this, I`ve run out of ideas?

When I put my mind to it, I can be bloody fast on the bike, keep the weight down, and be generally good all round, and it feels great.

BUT, one crap day at work, or a ride home in the pouring rain, and I think "to hell with it I`ll have what I fancy tonight", and I have a good blowout, eating all the shite I`ve deprived myself of, then the next morning I`m thinking oh hell I`ve blown it now, so I`ll eat crap for a few weeks and the whole cycle (no pun intended!) starts again. Then I clean up my act, until.....................

I don`t want these "dips" as it ruins my fun, but I just can`t help it. Any ideas how I can stop it happening please? Am on a dip at the moment.....grrrrrr!!!!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You should have some of what you fancy occasionally. Even bad sh1t.

burntoutbanger

Veteran

When I put my mind to it, I can be bloody fast on the bike, keep the weight down, and be generally good all round, and it feels great.

BUT, one crap day at work, or a ride home in the pouring rain, and I think "to hell with it I`ll have what I fancy tonight", and I have a good blowout, eating all the shite I`ve deprived myself of, then the next morning I`m thinking oh hell I`ve blown it now, so I`ll eat crap for a few weeks and the whole cycle (no pun intended!) starts again. Then I clean up my act, until.....................

I don`t want these "dips" as it ruins my fun, but I just can`t help it. Any ideas how I can stop it happening please? Am on a dip at the moment.....grrrrrr!!!!

You are me and I claim my five pounds!

simon.r

Person

Me too at the moment. I've been ill (nothing serious, just feeling really rough) for a couple of weeks, eating like a pig and doing minimal riding. Annoyingly I feel as if I've undone all the good work I'd done this year up until very recently.

When I do motivate myself to get out for a decent ride I'll really enjoy it, but it'll be harder work than it ought to be.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.

Who wants to be good all of the time? Where's the fun in that? Remember that there are lots of people that eat like that all of the time and don't do a fraction of the exercise that you do!

S-Express

And now, S-Express's answer to the illiteracy crisis - "Learn to read!" :whistle:

And global conflict - "Just be nice to each other!" :laugh:

To be fair though, CJ - those statements are not in any way wrong.... ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
I equate this to my time at my peak of fitness...I could hammer myself riding long and fast. I wasn't too particular about diet although I generally don't eat too much rubbish but I do like a macdonalds or a kebab occasiobally. ..so it's a mixed diet for me. In my case I just got fed up if hammering myself.not in a diet respect but it just wasn't enjoyable as it used to be. So I slowed down and enjoyed it more.
Do what feels ok...you're still immensly fitter than 90% of people you know but it's no good if you're not enjoying it. Relax and enjoy both bits.

Edited to say...in my case the fitness gives you immense satisfaction but in my case there came a point where it became a millstone round my neck, always trying to better it or just even maintaining it. it.feels like you can never relax.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
Your problem isn't having a blowout. It's continuing it in the next days. Eating what you fancy on an occasional basis is fine. You need to stop feeling guilty about it, just shrug it off and carry on.

We can burden ourselves far too much with the weight of our own expectations. Lightening up and recognising its no biggie helps you pull back in line much better than beating yourself up.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Why not just allow yourself a cheat day once in a while. When you stuff out on whatever, just put it behind you the next morning and don't get in the 'well I've blown it' mindset. I know it's easier said than done, but one blow out every so often has not blown all the good work that you've already put in. Stick it behind you and think of it as the lovely chippy tea with jam roly poly and custard (or whatever tickles your pickle) and then just think 'well that's done and dusted the cheat meal' and get back to your normal, healthy eating.
It's just a case of framing the blow out a bit differently in your head.

OP
OP
I
Thanks for the replies everybody

It`s back to it on Monday, and after about 10 days of eating crap I feel ready for fat club treatment! Joking aside, I do feel great when eating right and training hard, and the sadist in me quite likes the "hungry" feeling. I`m training for a big (ish) event in June, so need to keep on track for that:okay:

Top Bottom