Just out of curiosity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ruddy heck! I'd have baulked at £50, but at that price...
*speechless*

Reactions: mjr

Kell

Veteran
Especially as the other bike I linked to ended at £430.

Looked like a much newer, less problematic bike.

But I'm still stunned that either of them went for that sort of money.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I spoke to a Brompton dealer who told me had only seen one Bromopton which wasn't worth repairing in terms of spend and likely value.

He said it looked like it had been used as a ship's anchor, and needed most bits replacing including the rear triangle.

The owner had the work done against the shop's advice.

There probably is no value left in the auctioned bike in the OP\s link, but there's no doubt the point of no return takes a lot longer to reach on a Brompton than it does on any other bike.

Brand X

Auction finished at £331? Now, I can see someone stripping the bike down, getting it resprayed and making it into a very nice bike again for a couple of hundred quid, but it still seems too much to spend on a rusty barn-find. From what I've seen of eBay auctions of Bromptons, it's pretty hopeless trying to get one for a reasonable price, they always go for top-dollar.

I have a folding bike although I haven't used it much; it's a Ridgeback Envoy; a rebranded Dahon produced under licence for less money. You can get Dahons for not too much money but the Ridgebacks are overlooked so they tend to sell at a low price.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Auction finished at £331? Now, I can see someone stripping the bike down, getting it resprayed and making it into a very nice bike again for a couple of hundred quid

Hard to know exactly what needs doing to from the ebay listing, but based on my own experience of Bromptons, I would estimate considerably more than a couple of hundred quid to get that one roadworthy again.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Lordy that was seriously overpriced

Top Bottom