Just realised it's the start of Lent this week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

I'm giving up falling over.

Crankarm

Guru
Cubist said:
No, fasting is nothing to do with guilt.

Fasting is to do with denial, yes, but it's also to do with spirituality. In all religions, the great thinkers have done their "best thinking" while fasting. We're told Christ did his in the wilderness for 40 days, which is the inspiration for Lent. Mohammed (PBUH) did much the same, hence Ramadan.

Buddha sat under a tree for a long time, and came up with some pretty startling sense (ie that the best way to stop feeling unhappy because you haven't got something is to stop wanting it....something we could all learn from I reckon!)

Nowadays however periods of fasting are linked with charitable giving. Lent suggests we give something up and increase charitable giving. Muslims give in order to feed the poor during Ramadan. Both Christians and Muslims that I know believe that by fasting you enter into a more spritual, deeper thinking state, and use the time of fasting to reflect and study.

You may not be a religious man, but if you deliberately misinterpret others' beliefs, you hardly respect the good they are doing do you?

Don't think there is any deliberate misinterp Cube.

I thought during Ramadan Muslims could eat at night? Seems a much better system and more practical than starving yourself for 40 days and 40 nights as the Christians seem to want everyone to do.

No, I'm not religious, well not strictly true Cube, as on occasions I like to religiously enjoy myself, hence the pancake frenzy.

Can't see why altruism, charitable work or goodwill to fellow men cannot occur 365 days of the year rather than within the strict regulatory framework of a religion's timetable.

Buddhism slightly different, the ascetic lifestyle. A lesson to all those who can never commit to such abstinance that we could all do with slightly fewer possessions and concentrate on spiritual rather than materialistic fulfillment.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As from 10 minutes ago, I'm going to give up replying on Greedo's threads.
Oh, bollix:angry:

I'm going to not take the p*ss out of MacB, Greedo and Wigsie although it's so addictive I don't hold out much hope.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Crankarm said:
Don't think there is any deliberate misinterp Cube.

I thought during Ramadan Muslims could eat at night? Seems a much better system and more practical than starving yourself for 40 days and 40 nights as the Christians seem to want everyone to do.

No, I'm not religious, well not strictly true Cube, as on occasions I like to religiously enjoy myself, hence the pancake frenzy.

Can't see why altruism, charitable work or goodwill to fellow men cannot occur 365 days of the year rather than within the strict regulatory framework of a religion's timetable.

Buddhism slightly different, the ascetic lifestyle. A lesson to all those who can never commit to such abstinance that we could all do with slightly fewer possessions and concentrate on spiritual rather than materialistic fulfillment.

No, I know you were only paraphrasing a generally held view that religion is unnecessarily austere. I share your view that some folk are too keen to point out the sinning side of daily life, when, if I had my way, belief systems would all be completely altruistic. There's enough misery in the world to muddle it up with religion!

You're quite right, both Christianity and Islam have charitable works and doing good deeds to neighbours etc as central themes, but it doesn't hurt to have a reminder for when followers get complacent!

Muslims do eat at night, but when Ramadan falls in the summer months, they do a full days work without food or water, and can only eat between sunset and sunrise. When they do eat it is customary only to eat light healthy meals, rather than gorging.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
tdr1nka said:
I've given up completely.

*Heck. I love this song:biggrin:*

C'mon - give up T ;) I betcha can't :biggrin:

Me - I'll give up Lent (Ooooh - I already did that many years ago) :ohmy:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Crankarm said:
Lent - God stuff - all about control and making you feel bad or a sinner as no one can realistically keep to it. :eek:

Eh? Lenten 'fasting'. All about self-control, and making one identify with people not as materially (relatively) wealthy as oneself, and no guilt involved as realistically what I give up stays given up for Lent (but if I caved it wouldn't be a sin anyway.)

This year it will be booze (again)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Crankarm said:

What evidence do you have that people don't strive/try to display goodwill, be charitable, altruistic 365 days-a-year? The point of Lent is to go further than the Christian norm.

Top Bottom