Just Registered & thought a quick "Hi" might be in order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mycroft

I've been Lurking a while, some great advice so far, Thanks!

ok, background.

car crash in 97'
I was Diagnosed with Leukaemia in 99' GF with breast cancer in 2004 and myself re-diagnosed in 2005, bone marrow transplant in 2006.

WE ARE STILL HERE! :biggrin:

I decided to get a bike in 2000 after leaving the hospital, it was a mountain bike, it honestly got very little use after about the first 2 years.

I had quite a few physical probs (and with the confidence knock of multiple cancer holidays.... haha.. a few mental probs as well) so it has taken to earlier this year to get to a point where I had to say "enough is enough!"

I feel like I've lost about 10 years, I'm "only 36" feel inside in my mid 20's in terms of what I have achieved in life so far, but physically feel like its time to retire.

but really, "Enough is Enough!"

so I thought I'd dust off the bike, and discovered it was NOT the bike for me, did a little research and discovered I'm really a short arse! :biggrin: 29" inside leg! but my 44" chest makes up for that - honest guv.

the bike I had was a 21" frame, I could manage tippy toes when stopped.

so we both headed out on our bikes (both the same, and same sizes - she has longer legs, but I'm taller!)

7 miles nearly killed me! around that time I did more research online and found this place, I wondered how the hell it was possible to do 60 and 70 plus mile a day...

through the wet and misery of march I devised a plan 4 days a week of leg pain and the daily distance slowly crept up.

the weather didn't really improve though.

then I thought "why not DO something with this" and the desire to look at tents popped into view, along with panniers (ortliebs all the way) and other camping sundries.

but first A NEW BIKE!

the weather eventually improved and prior to buying the tent so did the nerves about camping, it had been a while. did 16 miles to a pretty basic campsite, and let me tell you google maps can lead you into what we now lovingly refer to as "Vietnam" and came back the next day via a holistic place that offered eco scones and massages! so I suppose in a way I did ease us into this ;) :angry:

all without a new bike! the LBS (love learning new acronyms) was on a scale of usless, fairly usless, so had to go slightly further afield.

I NEARLY signed up here to ask for advice, but was worried that my pitiful experience might show itself up and I'd sound like a twit..

I had some preconceived ideas about what I wanted within a budget, STEEL, 26" wheels and 17-18, 19" at most frame size, the LBS was at least good for that, I sat on a 17.5" Trek and instantly felt at home!

but it would seem like now-a-days, if you want 26" wheels you are also more likely to HAVE to HAVE Aluminium - which boggles my mind, but anyway.

I ended up with a Marin Muirwood 19" 2009 model because it was the smallest frame they had, and HOLY BATMAN is it fast compared to the mountain bike, got a fair price on it (I think anyway) and its due for a free service in July.

We have since been out for a fair few short trips 4 days being the longest, and the MOST I have managed loaded is 40 miles but had to go NOWHERE the next day.

I have improved my strength, but its still an uphill struggle.
I have also improved my stamina and a lot of that is down to just saying "GET OFF AND PUSH" when I really need to.

but what I can't seem to improve and I believe all the chemo robbed me of is my recovery between rides.

I really want to do about a week along the north coast (N.Ireland) and ultimately the entire island, but all the damned caravan parks seem to be 40 plus miles apart in the south, oh well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "HI" and "I'm getting there!"

hope I can make a useful contribution to the board

M

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi - welcome - that sounds like a long journey you have been on. Give it time and hopefully the recovery time will improve. You not making it easy for yourself are you - north coast of NI!! I remember as a kid my Dad's car failing to get up some of the hills, and us having to get out and walk up. Still great scenery to look at. Its still one of my favourite places in the world (not that I've been to tons of places).

OP
OP
M

Mycroft

Cheers for the welcome :biggrin:

spent a lot of childhood holidays on the north coast, at the time I think it was the law!! ;) so know it fairly well and looking forward to it, IF the weather .... well..

it all seems manageable in 20-25 mile days.

its the west coast, Donegal that is the "real" wilderness, had a few ventures "south" into Cavan, Leitrim and Sligo and the roads seem fairly flat, its just the distances, at the moment, that seem frightening, between camp sites.

haven't gotten to stealth camp yet as everywhere that seems like a nice spot is, magically, where someone built a house, or placed a garage, or, if by some miracle the field is empty, it happens to be a very steep angle! :angry: maybe a little further travel will reveal somewhere flat and unpopulated?

on a good HOT day, with blue skys there are few places nicer.

but then thats pretty much true anywhere :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mycroft said:
spent a lot of childhood holidays on the north coast, at the time I think it was the law!! :biggrin: so know it fairly well and looking forward to it, IF the weather .... well..

Yeah - most years I had a week at "the Port" (either Portrush or Portstewart normally:biggrin:). And remember getting my first pack a mac after our coats were completely soaked.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Welcome. Don't worry about uphills being difficult. I found them almost impossible when I started but I've now arrived at the point where I can recognise a gradient which genuinely is impossible (for me at least). As for the others I simply decided not to let the bastards grind me down and the way to do that was: upon reaching knackeredness, stop wait until the heart rate has got to more or less normal and start again. Repeat as necessary. Gradually the stops get fewer and further apart and eventually you end up sloggin up hills and wondering how it ever was that they gave your problems.

*I've just realised that I misread the "uphill struggle" bit of your post. Nonetheless I'll let this post stand as it worked for me.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

Mycroft

yes, uphill struggles are all uphill, no matter the context :evil: har har.

have knackered my left knee this last week, did a ton of walking on it yesterday, so am in (self) enforced confinement as its getting a bit worse, and have plans where I'll need it.. have/had, will see.

thanks for the welcomes!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try to hook up with someone who is marginally fitter and faster with you - you will improve to match them and enjoy riding and chatting at the same time, it's much better than riding solo.

jags

Guru
mycroft why not catch a train to northern ireland ,seems theres loads of campsites up there pretty close to one another.just a thought.

Danny

Legendary Member
Welcome Mycroft.

I'm really impressed with you determination to cycle, and a four day trip is pretty impressive, even if you didn't manage big mileages every day.

If I am carrying a lot of gear and cycling through hills I would not want to do much more than 40 miles anyway, as it becomes an endurance event rather than an enjoyable holiday.

When you are in the North of Ireland you could alternate between camping and staying in B&Bs so you are not committed to doing big mileages every day.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to get some professional advice about the best sort of training or stamina building regime you should adopt. Or you might want to contact the Livestrong Foundation to see if they can provide any guidance.

Ben M

One heck of a story. It sounds like you've come a long way. Best of luck with it all mate.

One question though, what is this "GET OFF AND PUSH" which you speak of? :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mycroft said:
Cheers for the welcome :ohmy:

its the west coast, Donegal that is the "real" wilderness, had a few ventures "south" into Cavan, Leitrim and Sligo and the roads seem fairly flat, its just the distances, at the moment, that seem frightening, between camp sites.

haven't gotten to stealth camp yet as everywhere that seems like a nice spot is, magically, where someone built a house, or placed a garage, or, if by some miracle the field is empty, it happens to be a very steep angle!

The nice thing about the west of Ireland is that there are still lots of small, old-fashioned "dog-and-stick" farms, or part-time smallholders. It's my experience that you don't have to ask at more than one or two of these before you find someone who is more than happy for you to camp in their field, and will more than likely invite you in for a guiness, dinner, a full greasy breakfast or all three.

Well done for coming so far, and don't give up on it now.;):bravo::thumbsup::bravo:

Top Bottom