Just saying hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thxcuz

Grettings all. Just wanting to say hello and share my story.
I did the usual biking as a kid on my hand me down muscle bike through the alleys of St. Louis. I got a ten speed at 12. The schwinn varsity was too expensive so my parents got me a amf roadmaster. That thing rattled and squeaked but I rode it everywhere. I used to go to the used record store and come home with stacks of albums some how balanced on the handlebars.
Usual story after that- got my drivers liscense, lost interest.
Fast forward to turning 40. I felt a need to bike again. I looked around and I knew I didn't want to be a lycra wearing weight weenie. Vintage bikes were my passion. Old schwinn and Murray cruisers, varsity and continental road bikes, lugged imports, even a Raleigh twenty. I liked building them more than riding them but I did ride the hell out of them. As much as a guy with 2 little boys could. That lasted a few years and I lost a bit of weight. But once again life got in the way and I began tinkering with 70's mopeds and things with engines.
Next thing you know I'm fat, 50 and everything hurts. Its time to get my wool jersey. Tweed cycling cap and knickers back on and ride (I got some kit but I make sure I still don't look like a weight weenie).
My goal is to build up my stamina to do a little touring. We have some good rails to trails routes here and im hoping to do a multiple day trip on the katy trail.
Baby steps first. I did 1.75 miles and im beat.
Tomorrow it will be 2 miles. You can guess the rest.

Thanks for listening. I'm a decent mechanic on vintage bikes so if anyone needs help let me know.

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:

Sharky

Guru
Welcome to cycle chat.
You're taking the right approach - little and often, but make sure you recover in between.
My bikes are relative youngsters, it's just the engine that is vintage.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. Take it slow and easy at first. Don't do too much to fast and most of all enjoy. :welcome:

johnnyb47

Guru
Great Story to read and a big welcome from me :welcome:

Top Bottom