Just seen a beauty!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

just visited a LBS near to work which is a small shop and seen a Trek 1200 for sale second hand and it looked really nice. It was a vibrant blue colour and had 105 rear mech which the owner said he thought was an upgrade (?)

What was even more impressive is that it was in my size!!

Now i have a continental revolution which i bought from edinburgh cycle company in feb, but perhaps i need an upgrade???

How much do you think the trek is worth secondhand? (i do know the price but thought i'd ask before saying). It looks in really good nik.

i suppose i could ask the owner for a partexchange??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just get another bike - you need more than one.....

No idea on the price though. If it's a big saving on new then buy it...

gbb

Legendary Member
DLB said:
i've already got more than 1!!!

i have a hybrid and a road bike.

isthe trek so much better? is it worth the upgrade??

Thats still no excuse :blush::biggrin:

I got 2 roads, 1 hybrid and a rebuild project..
Can one of them be happily used for a winter bike...or would both road bikes be too good.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
A 2008 Trek 1500 is going to be £599 and that will have a 9 speed groupset.

So you'll have to spend more than twice as much to get something (significantly?) better. If its in good shape (un-crashed), and its what you want, it's probably a good buy.

rjeffroy

I used to have one of the blue Trek 1200s, 2003 model I think. The groupset was originally Tiagra so 105 would be an upgrade. £700 sounds about right for the price when new.

OP
OP
D

DLB

rjeffroy said:
I used to have one of the blue Trek 1200s, 2003 model I think. The groupset was originally Tiagra so 105 would be an upgrade. £700 sounds about right for the price when new.

was it a nice bike?

yellow v2

DLB, I have a Trek 1200 bought earlier this year on ebay also shand, for £ 260 with afew extras which I thought was agood buy as new they were 699. It is a very good bike the frame is exceptional for the money [same as the 1000], had some very good reviews in cycling press and is v.lght with upgrade potential. The 1200's came with Tiagra gears and a 105 rear mech as standard in the later years 2005 on I think.
If you like it buy it!

OP
OP
D

DLB

yellow v2 said:
DLB, I have a Trek 1200 bought earlier this year on ebay also shand, for £ 260 with afew extras which I thought was agood buy as new they were 699. It is a very good bike the frame is exceptional for the money [same as the 1000], had some very good reviews in cycling press and is v.lght with upgrade potential. The 1200's came with Tiagra gears and a 105 rear mech as standard in the later years 2005 on I think.
If you like it buy it!

thanks. i'll have a look at the bank balance and have a word with 'her indoors'.

yenrod

250's a fair price condition depending !

Good price either way though, but makes you wonder why hes bangin it out for that on resale - if you do go for it give a REAL millimetre check over !

Mortiroloboy

yenrod said:
250's a fair price condition depending !

Good price either way though, but makes you wonder why hes bangin it out for that on resale - if you do go for it give a REAL millimetre check over !

That's because there is no value in the second hand bike market, simple as, When I sold my much upgraded 06 Spesh Allez to fund a down payment on my Wilier, the guy who purchased it got an absolute bargain when he gave me £500.

Brand new 'last years' models are heavily discounted on line, and there will be no significant change from this years, maybe a different paint job, possibly a slightly modified Drivetrain, but basically a frame with two wheels and the necessary components to make it work.

OP
OP
D

DLB

i guess i'm going to have to forget about the trek even if it looked the dogs ######. with xmas coming up, and a present already in the pipeline of some cycling shoes and pedals the trek is out of the question at the moment.

Top Bottom