Just signed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Hello, I'm a 47 year old bloke who used to cycle everywhere as a kid and gradually got out of the habit after I learned to drive. I've visited this site a few times out of general interest and it seems to have a friendly atmosphere and isn't overly snobbish - as unfortunately some cyclists are. I'm not one of these evangelical car-hating types, primarily I'm a motorist day to day, who just sees riding a bike as a useful means of transport for shorter journeys and a way of improving fitness a bit and maybe losing a few pounds of weight as a bonus.
My machinery is nothing too exciting; I've got an old 1980's Puch 3-speed 26" x 1 3/8" gent's roadster mouldering in the garage and very recently I pulled a couple of dumped low-priced solid frame MTB's out of builder's skips which I fancy as a minimal cost fixer-upper project cost so I get a cheapo not-worth-stealing rat bike to use down the pub and generally knocking about on. I live in the sort of area where leaving anything decent/valuable on the street would simply be a worry and too risky. Hopefully those of you with nice expensive "pride & joy" machines won't be too horrified! ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My machinery is nothing too exciting; I've got an old 1980's Puch 3-speed 26" x 1 3/8" gent's roadster mouldering in the garage [...] Hopefully those of you with nice expensive "pride & joy" machines won't be too horrified! ^_^
:welcome:

Quite the opposite - I'm sure the "Classic and Vintage" board readers would like to see pics of the roadster...

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the old 3 speed used to frequently live outside during part of it's life so its got a bit of surface rust on it's brightwork. It's a sturdy machine, always gave me dependable service, but it's not pristine looking.
I'll make further postings in the (hopefully) appropriate forum section from now on, there's a few subjects I'd like to get an opinion about or generally comment on.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the old 3 speed used to frequently live outside during part of it's life so its got a bit of surface rust on it's brightwork. It's a sturdy machine, always gave me dependable service, but it's not pristine looking.
I'll make further postings in the (hopefully) appropriate forum section from now on, there's a few subjects I'd like to get an opinion about or generally comment on.

Get some pictures of the old Puch up please they are a great btand and as @Dogtrousers said we all like patina

oh and welcome aboard and glad to hear that you didnt just go and spend loads of money on a new flashy bike that wont get used once your initial couple of rides are done

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Bikes and beer, personal favourirlres of mine!
Always good to get a fixer upper as you learn a good deal about a bike.
Happy :bicycle:, :cheers:

BSOh

Über Member

Top Bottom