Just testing if my new avatar works.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Yes it does!
And do they?

walker

How does that work exactly? seeing as though the max height a Chopper can fly is 6000ft and a parachute, to deploy saftley is around 1000 metre mark, does'nt leave much room for error?

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
You'd have to be at a decent altitude then.
Maybe if there are ones that fire you upwards, they have some sort of interrupter mechanism like later WW1 fighter planes? - Not sure I'd like to have a go.

walker

the only thing that can happen is automatic release as soon as you are ejected. But traveling sideways I can't see it being feasable

Aint Skeered

walker said:
How does that work exactly? seeing as though the max height a Chopper can fly is 6000ft and a parachute, to deploy saftley is around 1000 metre mark, does'nt leave much room for error?

Nor does jumping out just before hits the ground. So I think I would take my chances with the ejector seat;)

Shaun

Founder
Yes. The Russian Zvezda K-37 seat system was specifically developed for use in the Kaman Ka-50 Black Shark, and is also used in the Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopter.

The seat is more of a tractor rocket system than a full ejection seat, but it does provide for escape from the helicopter. The system first fires explosive bolts to jettison the rotor blades then jettisons the canopies and finally tractors the crewmen out. Their parachutes automatically deploy seconds later.

In the United States, some work was done on a similar concept using an AH-1 Cobra helicopter, and a crew module system was tested on an H-21. Neither was followed up on.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thank you for that.
Yes, it would make sense to jettison the rotors first!

mosschops2

James Bond (!!) used the ejector rocket on a helicopter to escape (at the last minute, naturally) when it was about to blow up. The helicopter at the time was stationary on the ground.

In a Russian cemetary..... Timothy Dalton.... the one with Sean Bean as the baddy.....

Top Bottom