Just when things are going so well.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Completely chuffed with getting my first "PB" on a 10K run, shaving 5 mins off my previous best time and getting in under the hour for my first time ever (57:14 to be precise). OK, not a great time for a proper runner but for me, overweight ang getting something that can loosely be called "fitness" for the first time in too many years, it's something to be pleased with.

For a really good day out I'd thrown the bike in the back of the car, and thought I'd have a gentle potter along the solar system cycle route, so left York afterwards and drove to the start of the route, figuring on cycling back into York, having a potter round, maybe going in the Railway museum since I haven't been there since I was about 5, the new Yorkshire museum etc...

Now..thinking back a couple of days..on the way home from work on Friday a stone hit my back wheel - or so I thought the "clunk" was....

Getting the bike out of the car I noticed the rear wheel reflector off at a silly angle which drew my attention to..TWO broken spokes :ohmy: (on the "easy" side at least!). So that will have been the "clunk" then! A bit disappointed because the bike is only 7 months old and not that high-mileage - and realised the other issue with discs - no simple "built in wheel jig" to aid trueing...jig next on my "to buy" list now.

Might be because I'm a heavy build AND usually have a load on the back too, so thinking a jig, dish gauge, and 36 double-butted stainless spokes might be the contents of that next shopping list

Then I went to have a look online for my result/position relative to everyone else and my name isn't there, and my number is classed as a "spare entry" even though I was registered in plenty of time, and received my timing by text message - so I can't download a certificate for my PB time :angry:

Oh well...just have to do it faster next month in the Sheffield BUPA one....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, bad luck! I was on the Solar System myself today, and half wondered if we'd pass each other at some point....

Well done on the time, anyway! I couldn't even run that distance without several cafe stops....

If you want a day out sometime and fancy company in the furthest reaches of space, give us a shout, and I'll be your interplanetary guide....

Davidc

Guru
My past experience with wheel reflectors might suggest that that was what caused the problem. They break and then twist round smashing rim brake parts, spokes, and anything else in their path.

My worst (and since then they've come off as soon as I take delvery of the bike or wheel) was one which broke, jammed the front wheel and sent me off the bike. Luckily there was no vehicle near me, otherwise I might not be typing this. I was hurt but not seriously, needed a new brake mechanism and a new wheel.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I do normally remove them..I just hadn't in this case. But not for those reasons, I used to build wheels for a living so I developed an aversion to anything off-balance mounted on a spoke.

However it's not the reflector, that's in perfect condition...

The spokes did seem stretched at the elbow..perhaps honking my weight up hills was too much for it. Though odd for a touring bike..

I think a rebuild with double or triple butted spokes might be in order, certainly it will be a better wheel than it was.

Top Bottom