Kalkhoff Racer Model?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sustineo

Regular
Hello all,

Need some help please, I bought this Kalkhoff online for the bargain price of £12.50!
I really like the look of these old racers and wish to put it back to a descent standard, but I'm having trouble identifying it.
I have the following info if it helps:-

Simplex front/rear derailleur and levers
Silstar Crank
SR Handlebar stem
Altenburger brake levers
Schurmann-Super wheels 27"
Also on the rear brake mount it has PAGE 1080 stamped into it
And finally on the bottom bracket before the number is stamped a strange symbol (looks like a very small tree with lightning bolts at the bottom) will try to get better picture.

Ive looked online for Kalkhoff model lists from 80's - 90's etc to see how much is original but im not having much luck..
006.JPG
005.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It might have been mine! Where was the seller out of interest?

I went to South Bank Poly in 1982 with a 5 speed Coventry Eagle which duly got knicked .... as a replacement I bought this 'WOW' 10speed 'Racing bike' from a shop somewhere in South London - early 1983.
I added a rack, Karrimor Panniers, a bottle dynamo and front and rear lights, toeclips and full mudguards and cycled daily from Clapham South to Elephant and Castle and also to see my girlfriend in Morden (now the long suffering Mrs FF). After about a year a bought a wrecked 1950s Holdsworth which I restored and sold the Kalkhoff.

What can I say? It's nothing fancy, an early 80s gas-pipe special with chrome rims and suicide brakes, but it did the job admirably and 10speed was the dawn of a whole new era!
I did a shed-load of miles on it and loved it dearly. Moving from that to 531 tubing and alloy wheels however was a revelation!

Don't know how much more to say ....

OP
OP
Sustineo

Sustineo

Regular
Hey Fab Foodie! The guy selling was in Cheshire.
I understand the bike is never going to be a classic early 80's Italian or french mobile artwork! but I would like to put it back to a more respectable condition if I can, thanks for the story though!

Fab Foodie

Hey Fab Foodie! The guy selling was in Cheshire.
I understand the bike is never going to be a classic early 80's Italian or french mobile artwork! but I would like to put it back to a more respectable condition if I can, thanks for the story though!
Thinking about it, mine would have had paint scratches from the dynamo etc on the rear stay.
Definately a restorer, shove some new bearings in it (it doesn't look like it needs much work) and from memory on 27" x 1"x 1/4" it rolled quite well .... but I was younger then :-)
Opened a whole can of memories!

tyred

Legendary Member
Looks similar to the one I used as a hybrid SA hub/derailleur experiment.

Nothing fancy but a fine bike none the less, I'd say they have great potential as a touring bike as I find mine very stable when loaded.

Fab Foodie

Looks similar to the one I used as a hybrid SA hub/derailleur experiment.

Nothing fancy but a fine bike none the less, I'd say they have great potential as a touring bike as I find mine very stable when loaded.
Agreed, they carry a heavy load very well.

OP
OP
Sustineo

Sustineo

Regular
Ive found out what the bike is, Its a Kalkhoff 'Trident' from late 70's early 80's
Its all stripped down ready for service (The BB has play in it and Headset is hard to turn)
Going to change the colour to a cherry red but keep the 10 speed set up with the Simplex front and rear derailleur, but change the chainset for something lighter as it weighs a ton! Not sure about the brakes yet. Will put on black seat post, black stem and black mudguards etc (you get the idea, a Red and Black set up) Will post some picks when done..

Fab Foodie

Ive found out what the bike is, Its a Kalkhoff 'Trident' from late 70's early 80's
Its all stripped down ready for service (The BB has play in it and Headset is hard to turn)
Going to change the colour to a cherry red but keep the 10 speed set up with the Simplex front and rear derailleur, but change the chainset for something lighter as it weighs a ton! Not sure about the brakes yet. Will put on black seat post, black stem and black mudguards etc (you get the idea, a Red and Black set up) Will post some picks when done..
NOOOOOOOO :stop:
Don't re-paint it, you'll ruin it, it won't be a proper retro bike any more, just a cherry-red gas-pipe special. .... Uprate the componants as required, that's enough, but keep the original livery, it's in a decent enough condition.

OP
OP
Sustineo

Sustineo

Regular
NOOOOOOOO :stop:
Don't re-paint it, you'll ruin it, it won't be a proper retro bike any more, just a cherry-red gas-pipe special. .... Uprate the componants as required, that's enough, but keep the original livery, it's in a decent enough condition.

The paint remover and wire wool is back in cupboard, Egg shell Blue it stays :okay:. So I don't ruin another bike can you advise what I should be doing to keep it a Retro ride?
Is the Frame and paint kept as it is, warts and all? and only change components as needed or should all original parts be kept whenever possible?
I'm guessing it doesn't have to be in some sort of showroom condition for me to sell after some Winter riding.
Thanks for saving me from looonnnnggg hours of paint removal :smile:

Fab Foodie

The paint remover and wire wool is back in cupboard, Egg shell Blue it stays :okay:. So I don't ruin another bike can you advise what I should be doing to keep it a Retro ride?
Is the Frame and paint kept as it is, warts and all? and only change components as needed or should all original parts be kept whenever possible?
I'm guessing it doesn't have to be in some sort of showroom condition for me to sell after some Winter riding.
Thanks for saving me from looonnnnggg hours of paint removal :smile:
:smile:
Just wipe the frame over with an oily rag once in a while it'll be fine.
Replace the bits that are worn. It gets difficult when you have 5 speed and have to replace the drive train. SJS do 5 speed freewheels and bits and bobs if you keep the original wheels. The derailleurs go on for years. New bottom brackets and headsets are cheap and cheerful. New tyres are available and brakes, levers, bars, seatpost can easily be up-rated to basic Aluminium fare to save some weight.
Take a close look at the drive train though, it looks like it has quite a few years left in it if you replace the bottom bracket.

I love these old, run of the mill, racers. I've just picked up a Sun Solo to do up.
I try to keep them as original as possible, I used to strip them and go nuts throwing new components on, repainting, only to be left with a butchered bike that owed me ££££'s, and was worth zilch!

Top Bottom