kask protone vs mojito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Need a new one due to the one i have has a crack so if i do come off the bike there's no way of knowing that it would actually help me so best of just getting a new one
Definitely replace if it's cracked, Have Specialized still got their helmet amnesty on?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Seen quite a few people racing wearing the S-Works Evade . Got one myself but only use it for training . I go pointy for racing .

vickster

Legendary Member
Check whether they offer free returns if the helmet doesn't fit if unable to try. Post on a helmet if having to pay is around £6 from memory

ayceejay

Guru
I just twigged who this young man is, There is no way you need to go immediately to the top of the line in helmets and you can get a good one for a lot less even if the pose factor is paramount as it seems to be.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Not tried either of the helmets you mentioned but I do have a Kask vertigo and it is the best helmet I have had. I got it when they had the £100 if you trade in an old helmet offer on a couple of years ago and it is very very comfy and very well made I would definitely get another one after this one. I have had both specialized and giro helmets and the Kask just fits so much better.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I took the opportunity to try as many helmets as possible at the London Bike Show.

Even during (or should I say especially, as fit is even more critical) my motorbike days, I tended to find that helmets are designed for two basic head types - The narrow of cranium and the wider. I am the latter which meant I had an AGV/Shoei, rather than Arai/Suomi head. I could pretty much pick up any of the former of the right size and get comfortable, whilst the latter always squeezed the area above the ears, unless large enough to be a sloppy fit. I would have loved an Arai Giga, but I'd have been kidding myself.

And so it is with cycle helmets. It was not lost on my wife that the relatively budget Giro* that fitted my head was called the Bishop [helmet] but I found both the Protone and Mojito were like slipping on an old glove, with nary a twist of the fastener to provide a light, secure and even pressure around my noggin.

That said, I can't see the need to immediately drop the best part of two tonne on a bonce potty, but I would say fit is important first and foremost. Try lots and then select the one you like the look of from that crop. Do NOT think that it will settle in and give a bit, because even if that is true in a tiny way, it won't feel like it at the end of a 3 hour plus ride. Just go into lots of shops and try them on. DO NOT buy on-line and rely on returning it to try others, because you won't get round to it.

Russell

*The peak pulls off (as does the velco it fits on) to reveal a perfectly normal road lid.

Top Bottom