Keen but require advice Trek or Giant Defy 4?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by utdrd, 13 Apr 2010.

1. utdrd

utdrd Active Member

Feel the need to get a road bike and as posted before have possibility of a Trek 1000sl second hand from £325-£350. It looks in great condition with little wear (from a photo) and seller tells me it's carbon fork despite giving these specs from trek website:

FramesetSizes54FrameAlpha SL AluminumForkBontrager Approved, carbonWheelsWheelsAlloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyeletsTiresBontrager Select, 700x25cDrivetrainShiftersShimano Sora STI, 8 speedFront DerailleurShimano 2203Rear DerailleurShimano TiagraCrankBontrager Sport 52/42/30CassetteSRAM 850 12-26, 8 speedPedalsAlloy/nylon road w/clips and strapsComponentsSaddleBontrager Race Basic LuxSeat PostBontrager CarbonHandlebarsBontrager Sport, 26.0mmStemBontrager Select, 17 degreeHeadsetAheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealedBrakesetAlloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

I have found a Giant Defy 4 NEW with the following specs for £525 :
    Frame - Giant AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
    Fork - Cromoly, OverDrive Steerer
    Shock - N/A
    Handlebar - Giant Alloy Anatomic Bend, 26.0mm
    Stem - Giant Alloy
    Seatpost - Giant Alloy
    Saddle - Giant Performance Road
    Pedals - Caged w/ Clips
    Shifters - Shimano 2300 24 speed
    Front Derailleur - Shimano 2203
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano 2300
    Brakes - Tektro Giant specific Dual Pivot
    Brake Levers - Shimano 2300
    Cassette - SRAM PG 850 12-26
    Chain - KMC Z7
    Crankset - FSA Tempo, 30/42/52
    Bottom Bracket - Cartridge
    Rims - Giant Sport Road, Double Wall
    Hubs - Formula Sealed
    Spokes - Stainless Steel
    Tyres - Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm

I know very little about road bikes and would really appreciate advice in what I should do here. The only thing I do know is that I am keen to get started asap. I'm a bit worried about 8 gears only on the Trek. In my position (on a limited budget) what would you guys recommend?

2. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

Isn't the Giant 8spd as well?

I'd go for the Trek if it has carbon forks - the chatter from the road using alloy forks can take a bit of getting used to,the bike has some good reviews and it leaves you with a bit of dosh to get some decent tyres (use the stock pair for winter).

3. Kestevan

Kestevan Last of the Summer Winos

4. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

If you're going to spend £500-£600 then you have a lot of choice. I would step back and research all the bikes properly before buying - even test ride a few.

For £300-£350 you have much less choice and will be mainly looking at secondhand bikes. Be cautious about buying a bike you've only seen a picture of - I wouldn't do it. Depends how much £300 means to you I guess.

There are new bikes for £300 but they are not up to much - depends what you want it for really.

I would (if you have the budget) look at spending 500-600 on a new bike, buy from a local shop if possible (and if it's a good shop) or look at one of the big online cycle shops as they offer free P&P and often have good deals. Wiggle even offer a 7 day test ride after which you can send the bike back for refund if you don't like it.

5. Monsieur Remings

Monsieur Remings Veteran

I've got a Defy 3 (2009) and bought it 2nd hand for £350 and I would not pay anything like £500 for a Defy 4 - go for the Trek, or alternatively if you've got that money to play with, buy the Trek and keep some aside for upgrades like a better set of wheels.

Saying that, I've done over 750 miles on the Defy 3 since February and the Alex rims are still true and yet I have replacements for them because I know it is a cheaper option than buying a whole new bike and will make a difference to performance.

I also know that people moan a lot about the Sora groupset but it's a damn sight better than what's on the new Defy 4.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice