Keen but require advice Trek or Giant Defy 4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

utdrd

Feel the need to get a road bike and as posted before have possibility of a Trek 1000sl second hand from £325-£350. It looks in great condition with little wear (from a photo) and seller tells me it's carbon fork despite giving these specs from trek website:

FramesetSizes54FrameAlpha SL AluminumForkBontrager Approved, carbonWheelsWheelsAlloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyeletsTiresBontrager Select, 700x25cDrivetrainShiftersShimano Sora STI, 8 speedFront DerailleurShimano 2203Rear DerailleurShimano TiagraCrankBontrager Sport 52/42/30CassetteSRAM 850 12-26, 8 speedPedalsAlloy/nylon road w/clips and strapsComponentsSaddleBontrager Race Basic LuxSeat PostBontrager CarbonHandlebarsBontrager Sport, 26.0mmStemBontrager Select, 17 degreeHeadsetAheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealedBrakesetAlloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

I have found a Giant Defy 4 NEW with the following specs for £525 :
Frame - Giant AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
Fork - Cromoly, OverDrive Steerer
Shock - N/A
Handlebar - Giant Alloy Anatomic Bend, 26.0mm
Stem - Giant Alloy
Seatpost - Giant Alloy
Saddle - Giant Performance Road
Pedals - Caged w/ Clips
Shifters - Shimano 2300 24 speed
Front Derailleur - Shimano 2203
Rear Derailleur - Shimano 2300
Brakes - Tektro Giant specific Dual Pivot
Brake Levers - Shimano 2300
Cassette - SRAM PG 850 12-26
Chain - KMC Z7
Crankset - FSA Tempo, 30/42/52
Bottom Bracket - Cartridge
Rims - Giant Sport Road, Double Wall
Hubs - Formula Sealed
Spokes - Stainless Steel
Tyres - Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm

I know very little about road bikes and would really appreciate advice in what I should do here. The only thing I do know is that I am keen to get started asap. I'm a bit worried about 8 gears only on the Trek. In my position (on a limited budget) what would you guys recommend?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Isn't the Giant 8spd as well?

I'd go for the Trek if it has carbon forks - the chatter from the road using alloy forks can take a bit of getting used to,the bike has some good reviews and it leaves you with a bit of dosh to get some decent tyres (use the stock pair for winter).

e-rider

crappy member
If you're going to spend £500-£600 then you have a lot of choice. I would step back and research all the bikes properly before buying - even test ride a few.

For £300-£350 you have much less choice and will be mainly looking at secondhand bikes. Be cautious about buying a bike you've only seen a picture of - I wouldn't do it. Depends how much £300 means to you I guess.

There are new bikes for £300 but they are not up to much - depends what you want it for really.

I would (if you have the budget) look at spending 500-600 on a new bike, buy from a local shop if possible (and if it's a good shop) or look at one of the big online cycle shops as they offer free P&P and often have good deals. Wiggle even offer a 7 day test ride after which you can send the bike back for refund if you don't like it.

I've got a Defy 3 (2009) and bought it 2nd hand for £350 and I would not pay anything like £500 for a Defy 4 - go for the Trek, or alternatively if you've got that money to play with, buy the Trek and keep some aside for upgrades like a better set of wheels.

Saying that, I've done over 750 miles on the Defy 3 since February and the Alex rims are still true and yet I have replacements for them because I know it is a cheaper option than buying a whole new bike and will make a difference to performance.

I also know that people moan a lot about the Sora groupset but it's a damn sight better than what's on the new Defy 4.

Top Bottom