Keeping a cheap bike locked at the station?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
i was thinking of getting a Brompton to take on the train with me for the 2 mile commute to the office from the station. I won't need a bike from home to the station that end as it's opposite my house.

Then someone said get a cheap bike, like £20 second hand rubbish and leave it at the station the far end overnight. So in the morning I would get off the train, bike would be there (hopefully), unlock it, cycle to work, cycle back to the station in the evening, lock it up and catch the train.

I see northern rail say any abandoned bikes will be removed after 4 weeks but if I'm using it most days it shouldn't be removed? What do you think the chances of it not been stolen are? Would use a decent D lock.

Move it around, don’t always lock it to the same bit, if you keep it in a lit up bit, it should be fine. No one will nick bits off a snotter if it looks like it may not be completely abandoned. If it really is a 20 quid P.O.S. It’s no big deal if it does get swiped / stripped, as long as you get at least a couple of months out of it, it won’t owe you anything.

Sixmile

Veteran
Go for it. Buy a cheap one and see how it goes. Worst case scenario is walking for 20 minutes the morning that it isn't there.

TrishE

Über Member
I did exactly that when living and working in Lincolnshire and my bike was safe, although I've been to Lincoln station recently and noticed the bike stand is now outside the station. Don't know about now but there was a camera pointing to the stand on the platform with a sign and the platform was locked up overnight. I asked staff if it was ok to leave my bike there on my days off and they said it was fine so it lived there and others did the same :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Binka i have sold quite a few bikes that have ended up living at the nearest station to the owners for exactly that reason , there is even one guy local to me who leaves one down at st Pancras for his cross london commute every day and he has never had any issues , you just want something not flash and it needs to be reliable enough to not get much maintenance on a regular basis

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Going to try it. Worst case I lose £20 and a lock and have a 5 week wait for s brompton. Thanks everyone.

jay clock

Massive member
I left a £300 hybrid at Waterloo in London on and off for a year. good security and zero issues. Bike had been in garden for a year so lots of tarnishing and rust spots. I then wrapped the frame in 50mm insulating tape and cable-tied a basket to the carrier. Rides fine and zero problems

Depends on the location I guess

alicat

Legendary Member
Definitely worth trying. You will keep a good few hundred pounds in your pocket.

I doubt Sheffield is a bike crime hotspot. Northern Rail are just covering themselves in case they have a clear out of abandoned bikes and throw away something that was not abandoned. I'd bet they do a clear out only every few years when the existing racks are full.

Jason

1000's of folks do this at the main line stations in London and it works well. The key is to buy cheap, don't put new grips on it. use a D lock and move it around

Top Bottom