Keeping a homemade Christmas pudding till next year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
The Mrs made her pud back in September but we didn’t have it over Christmas. Will it keep till next year?
The recipe states that it will keep for a year, will an extra 3 months make a difference?
It’s covered in grease proof paper and a muslin cloth, I thought about putting it in an air tight container as well.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Does it have any almonds(or other nuts) in it? As they routinely go rancid within 12 months.

Personally i wouldn't, but then i see no reason why it can't be frozen as long as it is covered well and tightly to protect it from freeze burn...

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Does it have any almonds(or other nuts) in it? As they routinely go rancid within 12 months.

Personally i wouldn't, but then i see no reason why it can't be frozen as long as it is covered well and tightly to protect it from freeze burn...
Yes it does have nuts in it. Freezing it sounds a good option, didn’t think of that

simongt

Guru
We've had Crimble puds years after their 'best before'. A bit dry, but nothing that a good dollop of custard won't fix - ! :thumbsup:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The Mrs made her pud back in September but we didn’t have it over Christmas. Will it keep till next year?
The recipe states that it will keep for a year, will an extra 3 months make a difference?
It’s covered in grease proof paper and a muslin cloth, I thought about putting it in an air tight container as well.
i would eat a slice after a nice sunday lunch on the bbq....with ice cream and fresh double cream poured over the top. ( warmed up of course)

icowden

Veteran
The key is the preservative (alcohol) and content of perishables (e.g. nuts). You want lots of the former and little of the latter.

From my experience with Christmas pudding, leaving it a year won't make it any less impenetrable.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve never had a problem with maturing either Christmas puds or Christmas cakes for a couple of years, at least to my mum’s recipes. Not many nuts, which maybe helps. We do feed them a little brandy every six months if we remember, and keep them in a dark cool place.

What’s the worst that can happen?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I’ve never had a problem with maturing either Christmas puds or Christmas cakes for a couple of years, at least to my mum’s recipes. Not many nuts, which maybe helps. We do feed them a little brandy every six months if we remember, and keep them in a dark cool place.

What’s the worst that can happen?
ask Dr Pepper lol

Top Bottom