keeping bikes in the house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tordis

I have a bike shed on the ground floor of the building I live in and I used to keep my bike there, but since I found the door wide open on one occasion, I decided it's better and safer to keep it at home. So I do.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
GrasB said:
Oh and if the other half complains I just remind her who is actually paying for this house out of their own salary with no contributions from her.

You sound like a bundle of fun :eek:

I have recently been threatened with sanctions by my wife over the amount of clutter that I have introduced to our shared living spaces. I've agreed with her, smiled sweetly and promised to do something about it.

I'm evicting one of our children so that I can fill their newly vacated room with my 5hite :eek:

I really should have a cull though. If a Hepolite piston for a long (actually 28 years long) departed Ariel Leader is indicative of the redundant detritus that I've hung onto.

Keith Oates

Janner
At home my bikes are in the house, at work they are in the office, there is no other place that's safe IMO. I'm also regularly asked not to take the bikes into hotel rooms but I never listen to those requests either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davidc

Guru
mr Mag00 said:
garage, detached from the house from the house ;)

i do keep meaning to install a wall clamp type thing to which i can lock them

Do, I had a bike nicked from a garage. Also had one nicked from a shed, together with the very lage block of concrete it was attached to.

My 2 plus 2 more live in the garage. There's a fan to blow air through to dry them when needed, they're variously locked to the floor and wall, mine have their own alarms, and the garage is alarmed (doors plus PIR inside)

Definitely paranoia. Fully justified though.

Cars? Outside is quite good enough for any car.

If there's nowhere dry and secure to keep bikes out of the house/ flat/ whatever, then of course they should be inside. Where else could they go?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yup, one bike in the lobby downstairs, one up in the flat (they are swapped on a seasonal basis).

Soon to be two upstairs. Well, it already is, but the other one is in bits, so the wheels are under the kitchen worktop, the frame on the sofa and the other bits and pieces spread about the flat ( I say 'flat', I mean single room-plus-bathroom-bedsit).

We did once count 28 in one of our shared student places, that included the 5 or 6 in the shed, the bits in the backyard, the tandem frame tied to the banisters and the bits in the loft though.

Davidc

Guru
Arch said:
We did once count 28 in one of our shared student places, that included the 5 or 6 in the shed, the bits in the backyard, the tandem frame tied to the banisters and the bits in the loft though.

Nothing's changed then.

I had a mate at uni in the early '70s who was in a shared flat. 3 blokes and a girl who all cycled both as a means of transport and sport. There were bikes in every room.

The real problem came when there were so many bikes in the place you couldn't shut the bathroom door because the bathroom was also the bike workshop, and couldn't get up the stairs without the near certainty of knocking down one of the bikes parked on them.

Edit: I remember the landlord witheld their deposit because he (unreasonably IMO) claimed that the carpets had oil and mud on them and needed cleaning before reletting. Lies - it was being relet next year to another group of cycle club members, and if he'd left it they'd have been saved the trouble of renewing the oil-mud covering. ;).

D4VOW

I keep my MTB in the shed in my Fixed in the house. Not enough room for both in the shed and I ride the Fixed far more often.

purplepolly

Both of my bikes live in the hallway, but I don't have a shed or garage.

vernon said:
I'm evicting one of our children so that I can fill their newly vacated room with my 5hite :biggrin:

I really should have a cull though..

Of the children? A little extreme perhaps.

Plax

Guru
All my bikes are in the dining room, along with the guinea pigs, the running machine and all my other crap that doesn't fit in my spare room. I did try once to keep the hybrid in the shed, but couldn't deal with it. Paranoia got the better of me and I had to bring it back inside!

Bman

Guru
Thank you for this thread :biggrin:

Just last night my missus told me that my mum (of all people) was getting on her case to try and get me to buy a shed to put my bike in.

Dont worry, they would never have won. Just now I dont need to waste my breath! :smile:

Edit: Oh yeah, my (best) bike sleeps nicely next to the bed. The other two however are in the garden, but they are just hackbikes :biggrin:

Top Bottom