Kefir Milk Grains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Always Cross

Veteran
I’ve just bought a recipe book about fermenting and it is talking about Kefir milk grains it sounds like a yogurt culture. I had a yogurt culture but it needed a machine to get the temperature right. Kefir sounds easier is it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No idea about Kefir Grains (milk powder?), but to make yogurt you’ll need to keep it at the right temperature, an airing cupboard should do.

cheys03

Veteran
Kefir can be very very easy. It’s been about a decade since I did it last but remember having more than I needed very quickly without much effort

OP
OP
Always Cross

Always Cross

Veteran
Kefir milk grain is a culture you add to milk to ferment it (apparently) It is supposed to taste a bit like yogurt but more of a drink I think?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No idea about Kefir Grains (milk powder?), but to make yogurt you’ll need to keep it at the right temperature, an airing cupboard should do.

I make yogurt using a small amount of live yogurt as a starter. No special equipment, it just goes into a warm flask for 24-36 hours.

I used to do it repeatedly using the dregs of one batch to start the next.

I’ve just bought a recipe book about fermenting and it is talking about Kefir milk grains it sounds like a yogurt culture. I had a yogurt culture but it needed a machine to get the temperature right. Kefir sounds easier is it?

You don't need a machine to make yoghurt.

An airing cupboard, a vacuum flask or other suitably-insulated container does fine - with a thermometer of suitable range if you're feeling anxious about it. I've used a heated seed propagator, too, to keep a jar at a suitable temperature.

Kefir is only easier to make in that it doesn't need this level of additional warmth; however be sure you like the flavour before trying to make it at home. It uses a bacterial culture (the kefir 'grains') which produce butyric acid, so a very different flavour from yoghurt which produce lactic acid. Personally I think it's horrible - it tastes of vomit to me.
BBC Good Food has quite a good article on it here.

Top Bottom