Ken Laidlaw 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Sounds like you had a good day. Impressive time.
My bike was playing up so cut it short and did the 50 instead, left crank/bb/pedal was creaking loudly on every downstroke, felt solid enough so I'm sure it would have got me round but it was driving me (and my companions) mental. :cursing:
Was a bit gutted as this is one of the events that I look forward to.
Do you know what is causing the creaking noise? I have the same problem but my noise comes and goes, I've been ready to take my bike to the bike shop twice but the noise has disappeared, it's hard to explain a noise when the bike sounds perfect

Waspie

Über Member
Do you know what is causing the creaking noise? I have the same problem but my noise comes and goes, I've been ready to take my bike to the bike shop twice but the noise has disappeared, it's hard to explain a noise when the bike sounds perfect

Not yet. Bike shop on the case. So far, bb bearings replaced twice, bb circlips replaced, different pedals tried and noise still there. Shop waiting for a sleeve for the bb so he can try a different chainset. He is also trying to get hold of Sram technical support to see if there are any known issues with the cranks. Noise is pretty loud but the bike feels totally solid, no play in anything and no cracks that anyone can see! Hoping it's nothing serious...

What have you checked re your noise. In my limited mechanical knowledge I would say the prime candidates for a creak when pedalling would be bottom bracket, pedals, saddle. Have you ruled out it coming from your shoes?

tug benson

Not yet. Bike shop on the case. So far, bb bearings replaced twice, bb circlips replaced, different pedals tried and noise still there. Shop waiting for a sleeve for the bb so he can try a different chainset. He is also trying to get hold of Sram technical support to see if there are any known issues with the cranks. Noise is pretty loud but the bike feels totally solid, no play in anything and no cracks that anyone can see! Hoping it's nothing serious...

What have you checked re your noise. In my limited mechanical knowledge I would say the prime candidates for a creak when pedalling would be bottom bracket, pedals, saddle. Have you ruled out it coming from your shoes?

I`ve had 2 new bottom brackets, tried a new rear wheel, tried a new chain, tried new pedals...i`ve also re-greased my seat post and the bars under the saddle, my noise goes away if i ride in the wet, it also comes and goes when it wants, sometimes it will creak for a full ride, sometimes it will only creak on the flat and goes away when am climbing hills

it sounds to me like we have the same problem

I`ve had 2 new bottom brackets, tried a new rear wheel, tried a new chain, tried new pedals...i`ve also re-greased my seat post and the bars under the saddle, my noise goes away if i ride in the wet, it also comes and goes when it wants, sometimes it will creak for a full ride, sometimes it will only creak on the flat and goes away when am climbing hills

it sounds to me like we have the same problem
Just a stab In the dark but is it something to do with the rider, float in your cleats (a tiny bit of grease needed) or ankle rub or some other part of you?

Waspie

Über Member
Just a stab In the dark but is it something to do with the rider, floatin your cleats (a tiny bit of grease needed) or ankle rub or some other part of you?

I was going to say something similar, I occasionally get a creaking noise from my pedals/cleats which is easily sorted with a bit of grease. Might fit in with it not happening in the wet.

Waspie

Über Member
I put wd40 in my cleats before every ride

Ah well, probably not your cleats then.

I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of my problem in case it helps you, although I'm not sure we have the same issue. The creaking noise just started on Sunday but it happens on every pedal stroke, it's also loud enough to think that it's not going to disappear by itself.

I put wd40 in my cleats before every ride
It might not work but try something other than WD40; or it might just be something rubbing your shoes/ ankles etc and this may only happen under frame flex when you stand up. Good luck in tracking it down; I've had creaks (other than my knees :blush:) emerge only when struggling, but with a smooth pedal they're non existant :wacko:

Waspie

Über Member
Tug, this may or may not help you - it appears my issue is with the cranks. They have been replaced and the creaking has stopped. Cranks getting sent to Sram to check them over. They are carbon so it may be related to aluminium housing where the pedals are attached.

tug benson

See with this sportive do you register on the same day as the sportive or do you have to do it the day before?

only ask as i plan on doing this sportive and the Skye sportive next year and they are about the same time of year so staying away maybe2 weekends ina row might be a non starter, i am hoping i can drive down the on the Sunday for this event

Waspie

Über Member
See with this sportive do you register on the same day as the sportive or do you have to do it the day before?

only ask as i plan on doing this sportive and the Skye sportive next year and they are about the same time of year so staying away maybe2 weekends ina row might be a non starter, i am hoping i can drive down the on the Sunday for this event

Tug, aye, you register on the same day. You'll need to be there fairly sharp as there is a mass depart at 9. Have you been off the bike recently?

@Rallybiker Think I entered in May this year, which probably wasn't long after the entries opened.

tug benson

Tug, aye, you register on the same day. You'll need to be there fairly sharp as there is a mass depart at 9. Have you been off the bike recently?

@Rallybiker Think I entered in May this year, which probably wasn't long after the entries opened.

Took a wee break of the bike, parts of my body were starting to get sore and it felt like i needed a good rest...also had a wee puppy to deal with and that took up a lot of my time over the last 6 weeks

Back on the bike now, my fitness has went to sh!t but i'll get there.

Just looking to get my sportives for next year sorted out.

Waspie

Über Member
Sometimes a break isn't a bad idea, won't be long before the fitness comes back.

The Ken Laidlaw is definitely worth doing if you can, you'll be familiar with some of the roads from the Tour of the Borders route.

You got much booked up sportive wise?

tug benson

not booked anything yet, but i am looking at the Skye sportive, the Ken Laidlaw sportive and i will try and sign up for the 3 pistes again

Top Bottom