Kent Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Coming from Mereyside originally, we were surrounded by hills in the Lake District, Peak District and North Wales.

There is a legend that somebody asked one of the famous Merseyside coaches (Eddie Soens?), was this the reason why Merseyside produced so many good riders.
He replied "No - it was the 30 to 40 miles riding to them!"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To get back on topic I did once crash on Chalkpit Lane downhill

What happened is all a bit of a mystery to me. I took the bend a bit too fast, but I don't think it was recklessly fast, and ended up on my arse sliding down the hill. The back wheel of my bike was pringled. Whether the pringling happened first and caused me to come off, or whether it happened as a result of me coming off I don't know. Wet leaves may have been involved. I was OK with a slightly bruised bum as it was all pretty slow-motion but the bike was fecked. Fortunately a nice man in a Range Rover came up the hill moments later, as I began my walk to Oxted station, and gave me a lift to a handy railway station nearer home.

I also once came off going up it. I stood on the pedals and my chain slipped. That was more of an undignified dismount than a crash.

So do be careful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Thank you every body for comments. I realised soon after posting that I should have posted as "North Downs". I was interested because that particular hill is unkown to me whereas the most of the others in that vicintity are well known. I think that I will leave Chalkpit Lane on the "do not disturb" list along with White Hill. BTW, further East are the descents of Back Lane (from Ide Hill) and Bayleys Hill; both are enjoyable and less challenging.

GuyBoden

Guru
I just remember the narrow lanes with high hedges around Tatsfield, where 4 wheel drive cars and large vans took up all of the road space.

Is Tatsfield in Kent or Surrey or both?

GuyBoden

Guru
Coming from Mereyside originally, we were surrounded by hills in the Lake District, Peak District and North Wales.

There is a legend that somebody asked one of the famous Merseyside coaches (Eddie Soens?), was this the reason why Merseyside produced so many good riders.

Yes, I remember the slow slog of many rides back from the Peak District Hills from Warrington when I was younger.

These types of rides are probably why my Uncle was a three times National Champs medallist.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just remember the narrow lanes with high hedges around Tatsfield, where 4 wheel drive cars and large vans took up all of the road space.

Is Tatsfield in Kent or Surrey or both?

Surrey, just.

At the bottom of Clarks lane, when it flattens out and becomes the Croydon Rd is where the border is. It wiggles around a bit. Tatsfield & Oxted are Surrey, Biggin Hill & Westerham are Kent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Now you've made me go and check the map!

Tatsfield is in Surrey. Biggin Hill which borders it to the north isn't, as I wrongly said before, in Kent but is in Greater London, borough of Bromley. There's a pointy bit of Kent that sits to the South East of Tatsfield and an exciting triple point where Surrey, Kent and Bromley all meet.

Goodness knows what the post codes are. Westerham is definitely in Kent, and the Post office seems to think Tatsfield is part of Westerham!

YellowV2

Veteran
The Bakery restaurant and Ye Old Ship Pub are both listed with postal addresses of Tatsfield, Westerham TN16 and a friend of mine used to live in Tatsfield, Kent TN16! It appears to have the postcode TN16 🤷

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

No hills in Merseyside either - as you said you've got to ride to them.

GuyBoden

Guru
Now you've made me go and check the map!

Tatsfield is in Surrey. Biggin Hill which borders it to the north isn't, as I wrongly said before, in Kent but is in Greater London, borough of Bromley. There's a pointy bit of Kent that sits to the South East of Tatsfield and an exciting triple point where Surrey, Kent and Bromley all meet.

Goodness knows what the post codes are. Westerham is definitely in Kent, and the Post office seems to think Tatsfield is part of Westerham!

r-Bates-vs-The-Post-Office-Tatsfield-Kent-1024x576.jpg

"an exciting triple point where Surrey, Kent and Bromley all meet."

The reason why I know, Tatsfield, Kent? Surrey? Is because my wife's friend lives in Tatsfield.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"an exciting triple point where Surrey, Kent and Bromley all meet."

The reason why I know, Tatsfield, Kent? Surrey?, is because my wife's friend lives in a house opposite the duck pond.

So it was a trick question, you devil.:evil:

The triple point is about a kilometre south east of Tatsfield. To the west is Surrey, to the north-east is London (LB Bromley) and to the south east is Kent.
1708431491500.png

It must be galling for the good burghers of Tatsfield to have survived the 1965 boundary changes without being dumped into Greater London, retaining their historic Surrey status, only for the post office to unilaterally decide that they should be moved into Kent.

In my book, if it's inside the M25, it's Greater London. End of chat. No messing with quaint county boundaries or weird postal delivery codes. :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It must be galling for the good burghers of Tatsfield to have survived the 1965 boundary changes without being dumped into Greater London, retaining their historic Surrey status, only for the post office to unilaterally decide that they should be moved into Kent.

They are still in Surrey (the core of Tatsfield village at any rate)
1708433627382.png

Top Bottom