Kent to Benidorm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Lone Rider

The wife has set me a challenge for next year, two weeks to get from home to Benidorm for the flight back.
Has anyone done this, the max I have done in a day is 62 miles, I’m over weight and thinking a mass diet up the regime and set off early July next year.
What do you think, am I mad? Looking at camping, anyone up for it?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No chance! I just plugged it into AA route planner and this gave 1200 miles. Now I am not scared of doing over 100 miles in a day and have done this comfortably on a number of occasions but even I wouldn't plan to cover that distance in just two weeks.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
The wife has set me a challenge for next year, two weeks to get from home to Benidorm for the flight back.
Has anyone done this, the max I have done in a day is 62 miles, I’m over weight and thinking a mass diet up the regime and set off early July next year.
What do you think, am I mad? Looking at camping, anyone up for it?
Having looked into long distance a fair bit (but not done that much of it), the first question you should ask yourself is can you do 100 miles in a day, and the next day, and the next, and the next, etc, etc?

That said, I love your honesty and I am properly tempted to come with you.

OP
OP
The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider

I slept on this last night and got a plan, boat back from Bilboa/Santander less stress or might boat their and cycle back, then doesnt matter if I over 14 days lol,
Has anyone done this, looking at some sites only the Santander route can take bikes?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Works out to 128km a day, that’s to Calais. Do you think you can do that every day for two weeks? I think you need to get into training.

OP
OP
The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider

Well I think I have taken on too much, after a day looking into this, I have come up with a plan.
Portsmouth to St Malo then cycle to Pontivy to pick up the La Velodyssee route to the Spanish Border a nice coastal route down
I can then get boat back from Bilboa. I have 14 days to play with and forget about Benidorm.
I can then boat to Bilboa and travel to Gibralta on another tour.
What you reckon, a good plan?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Portsmouth to St Malo then cycle to Pontivy to pick up the La Velodyssee route to the Spanish Border a nice coastal route down
I can then get boat back from Bilboa. I have 14 days to play with and forget about Benidorm.
I can then boat to Bilboa and travel to Gibralta on another tour.
What you reckon, a good plan?

That's probably the best part of your plan!

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks @Bollo

It sounds a fast trip. Whilst not near Kent, go from Portsmouth to ST Malo and you cut off 300k. Also means going west of the Pyrenees which means the Spanish bit is across country and quieter than the Med coast which frankly is not great in the summer

I did this https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=11271&v=P1 and made Spain from St Malo on a heavy tourer in 11 days. After the Loire it was mostly flat to Spain. On a road bike with minimal kit I could go faster

jay clock

Massive member
I had not read your later comment. If you do what I did you will get to Blibao fine in a couple of weeks. The Velodysee starts from the north coast (Morlaix?) but via Nantes. That adds a big loop. I went over the bridge at St Nazaire (fine, see blog). The Velodysee is of varyingly good marking. I suspect there are a few km in the Vendee that will be busy with families pootling so I would possibly divert onto roads. Beware that the main road from Chatelaillon PLage to Roquefort is banned to bikes but the VO is signposted round back lanes.

Bonne route!

jay clock

Massive member
also to add that in the Vendee the ones likely to be busy with families are dedicated cycle tracks near the beach and not ideal for skinny road tyres - shale

OP
OP
The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider

Thats fine, I' m starting looking at route and planning so might need some advice, think my first stop after docking will be Saint Peran and I have sent an email to someone off warmshowers, I think for the first couple of days to get me into it will try and use this site to settle me in. Then play it by ear with me tent as I hit the coast all the way down then, until I get to the hilly bit lol

OP
OP
The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider

Thanks everyone and thank you to jay clock. I have now decided on the route but not sure on stops etc so I would like if anyone has done this route to give me some idea best places to stop I am sorted up to Angles. After this I am blind as to speak, any help will be appreciated thanks.
Im going to follow the LA Velodyssee Route - Atlantique

Last edited:
Top Bottom