Keyboard/Digital piano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowwww

Veteran
My wife had an old second-hand piano from when she was a girl that we 'inherited' years ago when we moved in together. A number of years ago we changed it for a Technics Ensemble digital piano (PR804?) which took up much less space and also didn't need tuning. My wife got up to grade 8 piano and studied music at University has always been happy with the tone and playability of the Technics.

My daughters are currently learning the piano and I have to say that there are times that I wish we still had on old fashioned upright piano, largely due to digital pianos having so many different 'voices', rhythm and other functions that they spend half their practice time making it sound like a helicopter, playing their scales in dog-barks, everything having drum accompaniments etc. !!

Ootini

[QUOTE 3682225, member: 259"]Yes, the Thomann ones are superb value for money.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/digital_pianos_dp.html?filter=true&manufacturer[0]=Thomann&setViewMode=list[/QUOTE]

Yep, for someone learning to play the Thomann pianos are fine.

Ootini

My wife had an old second-hand piano from when she was a girl that we 'inherited' years ago when we moved in together. A number of years ago we changed it for a Technics Ensemble digital piano (PR804?) which took up much less space and also didn't need tuning. My wife got up to grade 8 piano and studied music at University has always been happy with the tone and playability of the Technics.

My daughters are currently learning the piano and I have to say that there are times that I wish we still had on old fashioned upright piano, largely due to digital pianos having so many different 'voices', rhythm and other functions that they spend half their practice time making it sound like a helicopter, playing their scales in dog-barks, everything having drum accompaniments etc. !!

Yep, when it comes to the Yamaha Clavinovas I think the CLP is the basic, just piano version, the CVP is the all singing, all dancing wannabe workstation. As far as other manufacturers go, I'm not 100%.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Many years ago we bought our eldest a Technics digital piano and she still has it. The keys were weighted like a real piano and she progressed tremendously with it.
What we found at the time, was to go to a musical instrument shop and see what suits your wallet, combined with the key feel. I don't know where you are based, but we bought from Forsyths in Manchester.

Ootini

At a guess I'd spend enough for it to last him until his skill requires something decent. I'd hope not to pay more than £300 if possible...
[QUOTE 3682248, member: 259"]They are also fine for someone who can play rather well.[/QUOTE]
True, sorry I wasn't implying it was a beginners only instrument, I just think as your proficiency improves you tend to develop certain likes and dislikes. The first 88 note instrument I learned to play on was a Clavinova, which served me well for a few years. Now I can't stand the feel of the Clavinova keybed. That's not to say there's anything wrong with it, I just learned to like what I like. I've always despised Clavia keybeds even though some pros swear by them... Horses for courses.
In my opinion the best 88 note instruments available are the Kurzweil K2500x/PC3K8 and successors or for something more simple the Roland A90 is stunning, however both are way over and above what you'd want to learn on, and they weigh about the same as a Sherman tank.

Last edited:

Ootini

[QUOTE 3682795, member: 259"]I had a Clavinova and liked it, although lots of people used to say they feel dull. But it was plagued with electronics problems while under guarantee and it died completely out of warranty. But they are out of budget for the OP anyway.

I'm self-taught with loads of bad habits, so I'm probably not the best placed to give advice anyway![/QUOTE]
I had classical training when I was a sprog until I was around 16, then decided I'd rather play in rock bands, it's amazing how quickly you forget good technique and skills. I used to be able to sight read pretty much anything, now I it takes me ten minutes of scratching my head to figure anything out.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Update people.....I bought a CDP130, it arrived today.
It looks very basic and quite simple which I'm glad of as he won't be distracted by bells and whistles.
He's over the moon with it. Thanks

Top Bottom