Kick stand advice Bottom Bracket ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Hi All, need a bike stand as with gear loaded front & rear racks getting to heavy etc any suggestions most welcome see attached pic Re cables etc to clear any suggestions most welcome bikes an old Carrera Crossfire 2
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 3498C71F-1CD3-476B-B15A-1611CC9F1FF8.jpeg
    3498C71F-1CD3-476B-B15A-1611CC9F1FF8.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 71

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would think the kick stand clamp would be clear of those cables. Any idea what length quick stand you’re after. The fixed length ones are lighter and less to go wrong.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like a stand would go. Just be careful how tightly you clamp it, you can exert a lot of force and before you know it you've bent the frame.
Use some Loctite on the thread, in my experience they tend to work loose.

yo vanilla

I've done a kickstand with a cable placed like that, where the cable was hitting the kick-stand bracket. I was able to hack-saw off just enough of the corner of the bracket to clear the cable and still clamp properly. Greenfield KS-3 is the model.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Probably not a good idea to rest a bike on a stand if its heavily loaded. The clamp can easily squish the chainstays as they're only designed to support the weight of the bike, not the bike and loaded gear.

That's why cargo bikes have two legged centre stands, so the OP is on the right lines.

One snag with centre stands is the feet hang low, leading to road strikes on corners.

Another solution, used on some Dutch tourers, is a second prop stand on the front fork.

I think you can get one that loops around the axle and is tethered to the fork leg.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yebut the crossfire isn't a cargo bike.

Yebbut I doubt there's much difference in the strength of the bottom bracket shell and welded junction.

My Orbea Katu 20" wheel shopper has a factory fitted centre stand.

It does a proper job when I have the bike ludicrously over loaded and top heavy with groceries.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yebut it isn't the bb shell that's at risk. It's the chainstays that are susceptible to being squished.
Surly even advised its customers against fitting stands for that reason.
I can't say I've ever seen a crushed stay myself but there are reports from folk who have out there.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yebut it isn't the bb shell that's at risk. It's the chainstays that are susceptible to being squished.
Surly even advised its customers against fitting stands for that reason.
I can't say I've ever seen a crushed stay myself but there are reports from folk who have out there.

Not as big a risk of a prop stand fitted at the cassette end of the stay, although the accessory one I had was triangulated against the seat stay.

I'm with @Vantage on this - be careful choosing a stand that can damage the frame of the bike - especially with a loaded bike.

I used to have an alu hybrid that I used for loaded touring. I tried out a couple of stands, the one in longest use had a clamp on the chainstay. I'm not an expert, but the frame failed at the point where the clamp was on the chainstay.

These days I use a clickstand - not cheap and designed specifically for each bike. It's excellent for a loaded bike, even one with a trailer but is not great on soft land or urban areas (kids can kick it out).

People make their own, too.

However, one advantage of the two foot stand for touring is the ability to tackle wheel, gear and brake issues easier on the side of the road.

Sorry it's not what you were asking about.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Thanks everyone for input - such an apparently simple addition potentially throws up a plethora of issues thanks again lots to consider

Top Bottom