Kickstands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
I recently bought myself a Cube Hyde Pro hybrid bike, mainly for pootling around the town & rides out into the countryside. I live in France these days and before we moved here I had this idea that the cycling infrastructure in France was sure to be better than back home in Scotland. It is, but only just. The big annoyance is that there are very few places in the town to park bikes securely. They do occassionally have these 'racks' for locking bikes too but they're made from the same steel they use on oil rigs in the North Sea. No way was I leaning my shiny new bike against these things. So that left me always looking around for something better & sometimes that was impossible anywhere close to where I was actually going.

So a kickstand became a neccessity. There are loads on the market but they all use the same clamping type of mechanism that I had on my bikes when I was wee. They inevitably led to rust. That wouldn't be a problem on my aluminium bike but clamps are just so last century. I noticed that Cube listed a stand specific to certain models in their range. It was unique because the bike frame itself was built to accomodate the stand. I actually knew this before I bought the bike but couldn't find anything saying my particular model had this feature. In fact, on the Cube website my hybrid - or City Trekking in Cube lingo - bike was unique in having no mudguard, rack or even water bottle mounting provision. I took a gamble when I bought the bike and luckily I found nothing to worry about. There's rack mounts front & rear as well as two bottle cage positions. No separate mudguard eyelets though.

I couldn't source the kickstand anywhere in France & so had to get it from Germany. The same company in fact who sold me the bike.

It arrived today. It's called a Cube CMPT Kickstand and isn't particularly expensive, although postage costs from Germany to France almost doubled the price. C'est la vie.

http://www.mhw-bike.com/cube-kickstand-cubestand-cmpt-black-cross-und-trekking-5970

Fitting took all of 3 minutes and it's absolutely rigid. I like neat engineering solutions and this is one of the best I've seen. I especially like how it supports the bike just in front of the rear axle, exactly where most of the weight is centred. Sorry for the long story but it's too hot to go out & I thought why not share. Here's some pics..

_DSC9393_zpsfj5dudas.jpg

_DSC9390_zps4avzp95k.jpg

_DSC9391_zpsl4jkwjgc.jpg

_DSC9395_zpsqnh8kblo.jpg

_DSC9396_zpswx6styoe.jpg

Have a nice day :cheers:

Last edited:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
And having the kickstand fitted so close to the axle means the pedal doesn't catch on it when you wheel the bike backwards.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nifty. Several of my bikes have kickstand plates welded between the chainstays and I've fitted a double-footed stand to my Dutchie's after my shopping over-stressed the single-leg leanover type similar to yours. The bike remains vertical when on the stand (which does mean you have to hold the bike if loading it on uneven ground, though).

D

Deleted member 26715

Well run up the flagpole & call me Shirley, I was looking at that very same hole last night thinking what the hell is that for, never thought of a kickstand n the Cube Attention

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Nifty. Several of my bikes have kickstand plates welded between the chainstays and I've fitted a double-footed stand to my Dutchie's after my shopping over-stressed the single-leg leanover type similar to yours. The bike remains vertical when on the stand (which does mean you have to hold the bike if loading it on uneven ground, though).

I did look at those double foot stands, seems a clever idea too. The most my basket is ever likely to need to carry is Duvel x 12.

Well run up the flagpole & call me Shirley, I was looking at that very same hole last night thinking what the hell is that for, never thought of a kickstand n the Cube Attention

It's a really neat solution, especially if the mountain bike is ever used for shopping etc. It's actually fairly light too but it seems very strong. In my case it has exactly the same paint finish as the bike so it looks very integrated.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Yeah, I wondered where the most appropriate place for this would be and I guessed only people in this area would be interested. It is a product review though I suppose.

D

Deleted member 26715

I looked & can get one in the UK for £17.99 my only concern is that it faces forward. I do quite a lot of bridleway riding which sometimes has tall grass, nettles etc which I have to force my way through, concerned it may pull down.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I looked & can get one in the UK for £17.99 my only concern is that it faces forward. I do quite a lot of bridleway riding which sometimes has tall grass, nettles etc which I have to force my way through, concerned it may pull down.

It doesn't. It faces backwards. Give me a few minutes & I'll show you. Got air-conditioning engineer in at the moment & can't get out the door to the bike.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru

I've updated the original post with a couple of pics of the kickstand retracted.

They should call those stands "tiger feet"

Because that's neat, that's neat.....

Like the way it doesn't interfere with the disc like some similar stands. Though sadly it would probably foul my trailer

Top Bottom