kid rides death trap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
On the train home from a day out, I saw a bike that was an accident waiting to happen. I didn't mention anything at the time, but I am feeling slightly guilty.

Faults I could see with the bike are:-
Front brake blocks not ajusted properly and rubbing on front tyre.
Brake cables not routed properly and rear brake cable rubbing against rear wheel.
Tyres not pumped up properly.
Seat post looked as if it may of been clamped beyond the limit mark.

In hindsight I should of said something, what would you have done?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
On the train home from a day out, I saw a bike that was an accident waiting to happen. I didn't mention anything at the time, but I am feeling slightly guilty.

Faults I could see with the bike are:-
Front brake blocks not ajusted properly and rubbing on front tyre.
Brake cables not routed properly and rear brake cable rubbing against rear wheel.
Tyres not pumped up properly.
Seat post looked as if it may of been clamped beyond the limit mark.

In hindsight I should of said something, what would you have done?

Saying something may have made you feel better but unlikely to have done any good. Obviously the parents dont care or dont know any better and are unlikely to spend money getting it sorted in a bike shop.

Almost every kids bike I see has at least one major fault.

colinr

Kids bounce, I'm sure he'll be fine and will never ride hard / far enough for any of those things to matter. Bikes are pretty robust, even when set up terribly.

Beardie

Dissin' someone's wheels would probably get a punch inna face, right? Either that, or he'd say: "Well, fix it for me, then." With the best will in the world, you're better staying out of it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I teach kid to cycle and I am always surprised at the number of dangerous bikes that turn up on the first lesson, most of it is usually wasted in trying to fix bikes, some are just banned. Parents seam to think that if the child is wearing a helmet that the little darling will be safe, I would much rather they spent the money on servicing the bike and really make sure that it is safe to ride.

Top Bottom