Kidney Stones, any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Believe it or not, it took me a bit to actually work out what exactly was going on.:shy:

I've got the usual symptoms and whilst it's probably more information than most need, going to the loo is a bit :eek:

I tried unsuccessfully to get an appointment with the doc today and I'll try again tomorrow but I had a wee (pardon the pun) Google around and it suggests nothing but drinking plenty water. It also suggested eating too many nuts as a possible contributing factor as to why I've got them. I focused on that as I don't really eat anything else it suggested but I do eat a lot of nuts as a snack after work.

I just wondered if anyone else has had them and managed to clear them themselves without any medical intervention?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A friend of mine had them - too much salt in your diet can cause kidney stones, apparently.
She managed to flush them out by drinking lots (I think about 3 liters a day) of water, but eventually one had to be removed surgically.
I have heard of a few folk flushing them out, it works if they are not too big.

tom73

Guru
Mrs 73 has seen many a case in her time she told me you will need to see the GP and get a Kub X-ray done and maybe a scan. Until you know how big they are you can know for sure if they will pass.
Drinking water and lots of it is all you can do at the moment. If you get to the point of total all out pain and can’t pee then your going to have get your self off to a and e. At it’s worse the pain is closest men get to childbirth Mrs 73 has seen real hard as nails men in total melt down with them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Passing them is the worst.
images.jpeg
I'm sure you'll be drinking plenty of water in the future.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I've already had a fair bit of pain. I had to visit the loo in a hurry this morning at 4am then spent most of the next 2 hours holding on to the sink. :eek:

It was 10am at work before something shifted and I was finally able to pee properly. Feeling a bit better now but not looking forward to tomorrow.

I'm due to fly for a work thing next week but can't imagine being too far from the loo any time soon. I'm also due to cycle the Glasgow nightrider in a couple of weeks. I really need to be fit for that.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Mrs 73 has seen many a case in her time she told me you will need to see the GP and get a Kub X-ray done and maybe a scan. Until you know how big they are you can know for sure if they will pass.
Drinking water and lots of it is all you can do at the moment. If you get to the point of total all out pain and can’t pee then your going to have get your self off to a and e. At it’s worse the pain is closest men get to childbirth Mrs 73 has seen real hard as nails men in total melt down with them.
Thanks for the tip. First sign of any change and I'll visit A&E.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I passed one as a young man in the middle of the night. I had to bite down hard on a piece of wood to stop myself screaming and waking my parents up... Not very nice at all! :laugh:

I gave myself until when my parents got up for the pain to go away and if it didn't it was A&E time (or the casualty department as it was probably called then). It took hours for it to ease off and then I got to sleep.

40+ years later a CT scan that I had for a pulmonary embolism caught the top of my kidneys and showed some historical calcification (?), at least, that's what the doctors decided after a follow-up scan. My diet and lifestyle was a lot different when I was young, and nothing seemed to have developed since then so it has been left at that unless something happens in the future to warrant further attention.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I passed one as a young man in the middle of the night. I had to bite down hard on a piece of wood to stop myself screaming and waking my parents up... Not very nice at all! :laugh:

I gave myself until when my parents got up for the pain to go away and if it didn't it was A&E time (or the casualty department as it was probably called then). It took hours for it to ease off and then I got to sleep.

40+ years later a CT scan that I had for a pulmonary embolism caught the top of my kidneys and showed some historical calcification (?), at least, that's what the doctors decided after a follow-up scan. My diet and lifestyle was a lot different when I was young, and nothing seemed to have developed since then so it has been left at that unless something happens in the future to warrant further attention.
Ooft, not looking forward to that. :eek:

I was trying to find the words to describe how it felt but they weren't coming to me until I read your post.

It's like a pea in a whistle. :laugh::cry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ooft, not looking forward to that. :eek:

I was trying to find the words to describe how it felt but they weren't coming to me until I read your post.

It's like a pea in a whistle. :laugh::cry:
The pain was bad enough, but then I peed blood! (Not much, but it was enough to scare me...) Fortunately, that must have been the stone coming out because the pain went away shortly afterwards.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The pain was bad enough, but then I peed blood! (Not much, but it was enough to scare me...) Fortunately, that must have been the stone coming out because the pain went away shortly afterwards.
Yeah, same here. Still got a bit of pain and now restricted more than blocked but we'll see what the morning brings.

I've had them a couple of times. Drink and pee a lot. If your kidneys start to ache drink more.
If you feel a stone shifting, get to a place of safety within 5 mins. Within 30 mins you probably wont be able to move. Keep drinking.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I've had a fair few and only passed one. When I have them I carry tramadol around with me, I rarely take them but if you do have an attack it's the only thing that touches it. I now drink three liters of water a day and touch wood it's been over three years, there is a NHS kidney stone diet which my consultant printed for me but I stick with the 3 liters of water more than anything. You have my deepest sympathy but I would get to the docs and get a prescription to have as a stand by, my tramadol go out of date as I rarely need to take them but when I do, I'm thankful.

Top Bottom