Kids 24" wheel MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, this has come around sooner than I expected but oldest son (9 in Jan) is fast growing out of his GT Stomper with 20" wheels and No2 son (5½yrs) is itching to step up from his Ridgeback MX14 to the Stomper and initial trials show he can handle it surprisingly well.

I have considered the jump to full sized 26" wheel bikes but that idea just isn't going to fly so the reality is an interim bike on 24" wheels is the requirement. A few hrs web searching has turned up 4 bikes I would consider suitable.

Decathlon Rockrider 5.2/£170

Jamis x.24/£200

Ridgeback MX24/£240

GT Aggressor 24"/£300

There is also the Specialized Hotrock 24/£270 but it looks a bit odd to me and until I saw him sat on one I can't see it being in the running.

Favorites at the moment have got to be the Ridgeback in first place and also keen on the Jamis, the double chainset seems a wise compromise at an age where gear understanding and choice might be less than ideal. The Decathlon bike is the sensible choice as it is the least worrying for theft reasons at a time when he is likely to start riding to mates houses and similar trips in the next couple of years. I have to admit the GT, while being the dearest, is difficult to ignore. With 4 GT bikes already in the household we obviously have a softspot for the marque and the 20" Stomper has been, and continues to be, a cracking bike.

Has anybody got alternative suggestions or experience of these bikes? I am just wondering if anything else should be on the list before we start trekking around shops trying to see them in the flesh?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
My Daughter had the Hotrock, and it was a good bike if not a little overpriced.
She now has the Rockrider 5.2 (although in 26" flavour) and I must admit I'm very impressed with it for the money.

No experience of the other two brands although, like you, I do have a very soft spot for GT's after starting on an Aggressor

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 1592862"]
I'm surprised he's not asking for a BMX. Most other boys his age seem to.
[/quote]

It is surprising but he has shown no interest in BMXs. He is aware of them, has seen some awsome clips on you-tube and even rides at BMX tracks occasionally but still hasn't suggested wanting one.

To be honest, he seems to be happiest on longer rides and sometimes we cover family rides of up to 20 miles in distance. One of the first questions he asked when I showed him the shortlist this morning was 'how many gears do they have?'. Oh, and he homed straight in on the Ridgeback in matt black.... :biggrin: Looks like we are going shopping today.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've liked what I've seen of my friend's Specialized Hotrock, the only thing I would say about it is that he had it from an earlier age - though he is tall. I would definitely suggest sitting on it to see that you still had plenty of growing room in it.

Hicky

Guru
Skol....We bought a Cube 240 team last May for my lad for his eight birthday, I think I paid £275 for it from Leisure Lakes in Bury.
I'm in Rochdale so if you want a test ride you are welcome to pop up.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
We got the Ridgeback in the end, bought it from Surosa in Oldham. I just need to persuade SWMBO to let me get rid of the old 14" wheeled bike that both boys started on as it is now surplus but she is getting all sentimental and wants to keep it!!!

Top Bottom