Kids Bike - possibly Wiggins @ Halfords!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick160

Hi all,

My son (8 and a half) is going to be needing a new bike soon so I reckon Santa may be bringing him one this year!

He's fancying a drop bar road bike so I've been looking at the various options including Islabike and Frog. However the Wiggins Rouen at Halfords has caught my eye. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/wiggins-rouen-junior-road-bike-540c
Mainly because it is almost half the price of the other main players in the junior market. I know what you get with an Islabike - his current bike is a Beinn 20.

Normally I am a bit of a Halfords snob when it comes to bikes and would avoid, however this bike looks very nicely built and specced, and seems to be a bit lighter than a ships anchor! Has anyone got one of the range and can comment on the quality of the Wiggins bikes?

Cheers all.

steven1988

Veteran
The Wiggins bikes in general do seem to get good reviews and it's definitely up there with the best weight wise.

Have you looked at the Hoy bikes from Evans as another option, or i believe decathlon do a kids version of the btwin Or go completely bits and put him on full size wheels http://kidsracing.co.uk/product/scatto-j-cross-28-drop-bar-cyclocross-road-tri-bike-ready-made/

BTW the above was a joke but I do know kids 7+ who are on 700c wheels with the bike above

I actually ride a Wiggins roadie (the 650) - have had it for nearly a year now and absolutely love it. Gets almost daily use for both commutes and leisure rides and has stood up really well to that. In all this time I've only seen one other Wiggins roadie while out and about, so it's nice to ride something that not a lot of other people do. Money very well spent for me, and if something ever happened to this one, I'd get another in the blink of an eye.

Only one minor issue, which was that the original saddle felt like something made by Torquemada, so swapped it for a Charge Ladle, which is more agreeable for my bottom.

@steven1988 - Decathlon no longer do road bike frames for anyone under 5' 3" - just posted about this here

13 rider

Guru
My mate bought his son one and he loves it but all kids love a new bike . I had a look nosey at it and it looks a good piece of kit for the money

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I believe @arallsopp bought one for his son last year so may have some feedback?

We bought the Hoy 24 (https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-cammo-24-inch-road-bike-EV203133), which looks to be a very good bike.

Hoy, Wiggins, you upright lot all look the same to me :smile:

My word of warning would be about road bikes in general. Frebbers (despite falling in love with it in the shop) wishes it were a BMX, as all of his friends now spend their time hopping on/off kerbs in the close. I'm hoping to be able to take him on a few road rides where drop bars, aero and gearing will make sense but at present we're struggling to find anywhere he can really use it. Lanes around here are pretty hairy, and roads aren't friendly enough for him to be confident. It'll take time.

wanda2010

Guru
Hi all. Yes, I have the Chartres and love it. It is my heaviest bike (I am 4'11 and puny though) but it has disk brakes and fat tyres which I absolutely love. I also swopped out the saddle and made a few other adjustments.

yerteasoot

I bought one for my daughter, it’s a great bike, very light and easy to work gears. Excellent value for money and it’s a good spec for the money

Top Bottom