Kids helmet and bike seat advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Looking to start taking our 11 month old out on the back of the bike for short rides. Have been looking at the Avenir Snooze Deluxe recliner seat which looks to be good value. Anyone have one or know about them?. The bike it will be getting fitted to is my Cube Acid hardtail, I assume the fitting mechanism will fit it ok?. I don't want to have to fit a carrier of any sort ( would look a bit daft on my local trails red route!!! ) so it would need to be one of the frame mounted quick release types.

Also, as he is only 11 months old his wee bonce is quite small, had a look at kids helmets online briefly this morning, most are listed as fitting from size 50cm upwards. Haven't been out to a store to see what size this corresponds to in the flesh but it sounds a bit big for a baby?.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1705673, member: 45"]Look at getting a seat which fits between you and the handlebars. The Weeride is the one that we used, and there are plenty of European alternatives. They're much better. You can interact more with the child, they can see more than your back, and they've got your arms around them permanently.

Helmets on babies are cute. They will look huge, but as long as his neck is strong enough to support it then I wouldn't worry.

Kids love riding on bikes with parents.[/quote]

Personally I'd have a problem with those, in that you need to cycle with your knees out sideways. Sounds tiring and unstable.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1705722, member: 45"]You do pedal a bit frog-like, but with a baby on you're not going to be audaxing are you? We used ours loads and in the circumstances of child-carrying the're great. It also means you can get a trailer bike or trailer on the back. They're more stable than having an uncontrollable weight over the back wheel.[/quote]

OK, that's reassuring. My boy has just graduated from a seat to a tagalong, but if we decide to have v2.0 I'll try and borrow one of those to check it out.

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 1705722, member: 45"]You do pedal a bit frog-like, but with a baby on you're not going to be audaxing are you? We used ours loads and in the circumstances of child-carrying the're great. It also means you can get a trailer bike or trailer on the back. They're more stable than having an uncontrollable weight over the back wheel.[/quote]

+1

Infinitely more comfortable and safer for both parent and child. And you get to have conversations with your kid - priceless.

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Cheers folks. Really not clued up on these things hence the thread. I wasn't even aware you could get front mounted seats for kids. I assume they clamp onto the top tube somehow?. As for lids, been out this afternoon and had a quick look in my local Halfrauds. The smallest helmet they had was a Giro of some sort and it went down to 50cm. Plonked it on the wee fellas head and he looked ridiculous!!. Not that this matters, safety comes first etc, but it felt rather loose on him although I admit I was trying to juggle him and getting the helmet on him properly with one pair of hands. :tongue:

Top Bottom