Kids seat - front or rear - opinions?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by BigSteev, 28 Apr 2010.

1. BigSteev

BigSteev Senior Member

A friend just asked me about the relative merits of child seats and whether it is better/safer to get one that fits behind the rider or one that fits on the top tube.
    I figured it'd be easier to ride with the behind one but the top tube option would be better for keeping an eye on the passenger. However, as I have no actual experience of either scenario I thought I'd ask here for your experiences.

2. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

I would say that behind is the best place for weight distribution and safety.

I have a Hamax Kiss seat (that goes behind the rider) and it works perfectly.

3. PpPete

PpPete Guru

Never used a top tube one, wouldn't work on a drop bar bike.
    Used to have rear one, very similar to the Co-Pilot Taxi model. Very safe. Even the most inquisitive little hands cannot undo those straps!

My oldest one used to go to sleep quite happily in it.... even better than a car journey.

And even the youngest has now graduated to "stoker" on the tandem.... :girl:

4. Sambu

Sambu Active Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice