Kids touring next summer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst idly watching the approaching winter my thoughts turned to the summer hols. 'This year,' I thought, 'I'm going to plan it in advance, something different we can all look forward to.'

So, having thought on it before but having always put it off due to age etc.. I think this summer coming, not only would the kids be old enough to do it but they'd enjoy it too.

So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or done something like that themselves. My kids will be 10.5 and nearly nine by next summer, they both enjoy camping and the youngest in particular is a good cyclist.

My initial thoughts were, on the continent, warm but not hot, with interesting non-cycling diversions and 20-30 mile days. Also I hadn't discounted using a company who supplies bikes and tents and stuff, otherwise I shall have to purchase some new kit for everyone.

These people sort have the right kind of setup, even have kiddi tandems:-

http://www.bretonbikes.com/

anyone tried them?

tomb1960

No but they look great!

snorri

Legendary Member
If you really live where you say on your avatar, I think you would find Brittanny fairly uninteresting. I found also that tourist facilities in northern France do not open up until well after mid summer, a bit late if you are running on Scottish school holiday times.
You might consider the LF1 route, it runs from Den Helder to Boulogne, but I preferred the part between Den Helder and the Belgian border. Plenty of camp sites, sandy beaches, good cycle facilities, friendly natives, passing through lots of interesting communities. Or from Den Helder you might enjoy a trip over to Texel, an island with plenty of camp sites.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

snorri said:
You might consider the LF1 route, it runs from Den Helder to Boulogne, but I preferred the part between Den Helder and the Belgian border. Plenty of camp sites, sandy beaches, good cycle facilities, friendly natives, passing through lots of interesting communities. Or from Den Helder you might enjoy a trip over to Texel, an island with plenty of camp sites.

I shall have a look at that. Islands, ferries and cycling are an attractive mix.

Yes I know what you mean about Northern France but I've cycled around Brittany in the past so I know it well enough to know it would work. Plus the big advantage of that idea and Scottish holidays is I could get to the start of the Tour next year. They'd love that, catching all the goodies from the publicity caravan.

Tim Bennet

One of the things to research carefully is the cost of crossing the Channel. There is now a huge difference betwen the short sea routes across the Straits of Dover and the western end crossings to Brittany.

A year or so ago, it would have been much cheaper for two of us to take the van across Dover - Boulogne with Speedferries and then drive all the way to Brittany, than it was buying two foot tickets plus two bikes from Plymouth - Roscoff.

As another alternative, the coast south of Bologne is not without interest and again has plenty of cycle ways. There is the odd castle, steam trains, campsites, beaches but no Tour.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
snorri said:
If you really live where you say on your avatar, I think you would find Brittanny fairly uninteresting. I found also that tourist facilities in northern France do not open up until well after mid summer, a bit late if you are running on Scottish school holiday times.

'Brittanny fairly uninteresting? Naahhh...

A different culture - they see themselves as Celts rather than French
Different language
Menhirs and the like
Galettes....mmmmmm....
Great cathedrals

Must visit soonish.....

friedel

It's well known, but the Danube Cycle Path might be a good option. There are heaps of hire companies to choose from based on the number of kitted out bikes we passed and we saw lots of families doing the trip. Plenty of nice stops, on the river, you can swim in many places, always flat, no traffic. And lots of options for hopping on the train if it rains. For a first cycle trip it would be a really easy start.

Top Bottom