Kielder Forest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have any of you northern types been to Kielder lately?
We are planning a trip on the 4th May for the day. There should be about 6 of us.
I was thinking of doing a short trail in the morning, have lunch then maybe the Bloody Bush trail in the afternoon. We have various fitness levels within our group, with the lowest being moderately fit and the best extremely fit. (Im somewhere in between the two :wacko:)

So if any of you have been recently, i would appreciate a heads up.

02GF74

Über Member
been there abou 5 years ago; can't imagine it has changed that much,. seem to recall trails are are logging tracks so wide, smoothish and relatively flat, well they need to be to get a big truck full of trees up there.

aslo seem to recall lots of midges - ouch!!

OP
OP
addictfreak
02GF74 said:
been there abou 5 years ago; can't imagine it has changed that much,. seem to recall trails are are logging tracks so wide, smoothish and relatively flat, well they need to be to get a big truck full of trees up there.

aslo seem to recall lots of midges - ouch!!

Yes I remember the Midges, I did a week long Chainsaw course there about 10 years ago. Hard graft but very enjoyable.

Anyway back to the MTB. There are the obvious fire roads, but I beleive theres been a fair bit of change with some quality single track being built.
I must remember to take my muvi and get some footage.

02GF74

Über Member
addictfreak said:
There are the obvious fire roads, but I beleive theres been a fair bit of change with some quality single track being built.

sounds like it is a bit more interesting; fire tracks were pretty dull TBH

GilesM

Legendary Member
Some info here:
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/...tleForestParkCentreDeadwaterMountainBikeTrail

I did the Deadwater Red route a couple of years ago when it first opened, I remember it as being very good, quite a bit of technical stuff and some tough (ish) climbs, they were still building some interesting north shore at the time aswell. Never done the Bloody Bush Trail, but I hope to soon, I think it will be tough, maybe the not as fit might not enjoy it after they have just done a morning trail. Best thing is to try the Deadwater, and see how everyone is, there are also some good bits of trail at Newcastleton, and a couple of good pubs in the village.

Top Bottom