Kill Kids for Fun!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whether its kids or adults, it common sense to be as visible as possible whilst out on the bike, especially at this time of year.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I want one of those hi-vis things that they have ... it seems to stop the traffic completely - that's what I need a repelling hi-vis :biggrin: .

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Whether its kids or adults, it common sense to be as visible as possible whilst out on the bike, especially at this time of year.

define 'as visible as possible' please and explain what hi-viz has to do with that. It stands to reason hi-viz must be better doesn't it. Except it doesn't, as so often, the received wisdom doesn't stack up.

You've seen the DOTHETEST road safety video. Do you think if the moon walking bear was wearing hi-viz it would make any difference? Trust me I've seen the stats. It doesn't. Inattentional blindness is a killer of both men in black (like me) and Christmas Trees alike.

if they are looking they will see you, if they aren't they won't.

If they are looking and travelling at an appropriate speed you will walk or ride away. If they aren't you won't.

A culture that blames the victims of drivers' inattention is screwed. Utterly screwed.

The DfT has a scaremongering attitude that is designed to scare children off the roads. There isn't a single positive aspect to the entire site.

The cycle ones are even worse.

They actually state that cycle helmets keep you safe, but at least it is an improvement from the previous issue where you got to hit children on the head with a hammer.

The "Prepare to ride" game also would not let you complete unless you had knee and elbow pads as compulsory equipment - although both of these were lifted after complaints, the cyclists on the site still have them on!

!

Hee hee I think it great, I even let one kid walk into the road with out Hi-Vis.. Nice big splat sound, and loads of claret..LOL

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Pretty soon every object that could possibly end up in the road is going to have be covered in hi-viz.

Come to think of it, lots of trees came down around my way over the last few days. We can't have motorists - who are presumably too busy to actually adjust to road conditions and to LOOK OUT for things that might be in the road - crashing into them.

All trees must therefore be painted in bright reflective yellow.

I'm writing a letter to the DfT right now. Let's make this happen people!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I live in the countryside, and regularly travel on National Speed Limit, unlit, (sometimes unmarked) roads at night. I have never hit a tree, fence, hedge or wall that line the road. None of them are lit up, or wear hi-viz clothing.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Emailed to contact address on the website:
I have just seen your 'game' on the following website:
http://talesoftheroad.direct.gov.uk/be-bright.php

This game could easily lead children to believe that wearing high visibility clothing makes them safe on the road without the need to look out for oncoming traffic. It also implies that if a child is not wearing high visibility clothing, then it is their fault if they get hurt, rather than the fault of an inattentive driver. Surely safe behaviour around roads is more important - even the most careful driver cannot avoid a 'high visibility' child if they suddenly run out into the road.

And is it just me (or my computer) or does the whole site make a horrible loud hissing sound all the time? (I think it is supposed to be the sound of cars going past, in which case they need to pay for some better sound effects!)

snorri

Legendary Member
Another aspect of this ad that I don't like,.............. they seem to be saying "hospitals are to be feared in the same way as injury from road traffic, so wear hi viz and avoid both".
Should we be giving the message to children that hospitals are to be feared?

As I posted before, this site is designed to frighten children off the roads and has nothing at all to do with education or improving safety.

There is absolutely nothing positive at all on this site.

Top Bottom