Killhope Grimpeur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone in the Durham/Tyne and Wear area who fancies a great day out in the Pennines, I can recommend this ride. Only 65 miles but a good amount of climbing on very quiet roads. It's a good test of fitness early in the year and the weather can make or break the day.
Just a small ride in terms of numbers, but very well organised by Houghton CC. Food and hot drinks in Lanchester at the end. Also a couple of cafe stops on the way round if required.

I have ridden it the last two year, but sadly due to recent events I will not be fit enough in time this year.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-265/

Noodley

I rode it a few years ago, great route with a nice tought climb near the end. I was almost out of time I think, due to a few visitations...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I was tempted as I know the area well - well enough to know that I'd be pushed to meet the time limit. When my BMI is down to 35 I'll give it a go.

OP
OP
addictfreak
I have done this ride 3 times and never knew there was a time limit!

Sadly given my health issues this year, I doubt I would get round at all!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
All audax rides have time limits. The longest time allowed is the ride's distance (103km) divided by the slowest average speed (13km/hr) in the case of the Killhope Grimpeur.

There's a range of minimum average speeds depending on the distance of the ride and/or the type of cyclist catered for. The slowest that I know of is a hilly 8km/hr and the fastest slowest if you get my meaning is 15km/hr.

OP
OP
addictfreak
Well you learn something everyday, thanks for the explanation. This is the only audax ride I have ever done!

Top Bottom