Kilotogo South Coast Skirmish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
anyone riding this on Sunday?

110 miles and 7000 feet is a bit much for me but thought that i'd try the 58 mile course. have to say that £19.50 seems steep when i'm used to paying a quarter of that at the local audax rides :tongue:

Windy

Keith Oates

Janner
I think a 110 mile ride with 7000 ft. of climbing is a bit much for many of us Rob. Hope the weather helps to make it enjoyable though!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of Sportives.

Someone cynical said that the difference between audaxes and sportives was the price.
That they are simply audaxes repackaged for overweight middle-aged men on expensive carbon bikes, who fancy themselves as racers.

chris42

WindyRob said:
anyone riding this on Sunday?

110 miles and 7000 feet is a bit much for me but thought that i'd try the 58 mile course. have to say that £19.50 seems steep when i'm used to paying a quarter of that at the local audax rides :tongue:

Windy

Looks a great day!
Wish I'd have known about it earlier!

Good luck!

That they are simply audaxes repackaged for overweight middle-aged men on expensive carbon bikes, who fancy themselves as racers.

i know that i'm middle aged (40 but only just) so i brought a Thorn Cyclosportif. i like to ride faily quickly but knew i'd never race, might do a short credit card tour (C2C?) so needed a bike that could at a push take a rack (Giant SCR 1 was in the frame but then i'd have a bike that looked like everyone elses). i have to say that the bike is supremely comfortable with out being too old :tongue:

i saw a couple of guys on one of the CTC challenge rides on matching Orbea carbon everything bike, both guys a bit portly and they had shaved their legs then talked about this as a prep for the Dragon ride, all looked a bit odd (sad?) to me. have to say though they were the friendliest guys on the whole ride, other than Duffer's but then i guess as the host it was his job to be :?:

Windy

andy_wrx said:
simply audaxes repackaged for overweight middle-aged men on expensive carbon bikes, who fancy themselves as racers.

I winced a bit when I heard it, because I'm 40-something and have a carbon bike, but you do see the grain of truth in it - lots of Colnagos, Pinarellos, etc out on some sportives, ridden by born-again middle-aged bikies who can afford it.
- and nothing wrong with that at all !

But there's also lots of younger riders, out on race bikes and wearing team kit, think they're Lance...

It's the magazines who are talking them up and then lots of people falling for it, thinking that they are 'epic rides' or single-day races.
The publishers are selling magazines, but there are some sportive riders who take themselves far too seriously.

Ah well, my next one is the Pendle Pedal !

g3nzo

andy_wrx said:
Someone cynical said that the difference between audaxes and sportives was the price.

hehee, to (mis)quote a C+ thread the difference is "people on sportives pretend they are racing, people on Audaxes pretend they are not" :biggrin:

I rode this kilotogo sportive on sunday and blooming good fun it was too. Quite a nice route, glad the weather held out.