King Alfred's Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've just found out about this new 350km off-road touring route around the South of England - it looks fantastic. Does anyone know any more about it? I'm dying to do it and it passes within a mile or two of my house!!

https://www.cyclinguk.org/kingalfredsway

1598379516850.png

Being launched later this week, I think. There's a book and GPX file to preorder. It's a Cycling UK thing - it won't be waymarked, you're expected just to follow the GPX/guidebook.

Bobario

Veteran
You've probably already read it but the blurb underneath says:

"the trail is ideal for gravel bikes and could be ridden over a few days as a bikepacking trip. "

So it looks like a tourer with suitable tyres would be okay. Interestingly, the page you linked to is now behind a password protected log on screen. You have to register or pay £12 to get the route guide when it comes out.

I might put this on the wishlist for next summer. Thanks for the heads up.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
First I'd heard about it. Doesn't go through Wantage, which was his birth place, or so they claim. Living in Reading I'd be interested to cycle around it, but I think all the hostels are still closed, and I am not sure I want to drag a tent along.

Correction: I see it goes past Wantage. There was a private hostel at the top of the hill just south of Wantage. I don't know what its status is now. It looks like it goes by Streatley, where there's a youth hostel. I see there's a hostel near Devizes and on near Salisbury.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It does look a lovely route (that goes very close to Casa Bollo) although it’s just making use of existing facilities.

I don’t ride off road but certainly know the terrain between Winchester to Salisbury westwards and the A3 to the east. You could certainly roadify the Winchester-Salisbury section along the old Sarum Road if you wanted to make progress and not miss much in the way of scenary.

This from the guide sounds alarming, don't quite understand, for surely they wouldn't be promoting the route if the Salisbury plain bit was as alarming as this makes it sound? One thing to have a todo with a distracted driver, quite another with a speeding tank.

@@
The route passes through some areas of land owned by the Ministry of Defence where there may be military training exercises going on, so make sure you pay attention to any warning signs, stick to the main route rather than wandering off and don’t touch any ‘interesting’ objects lying around. Salisbury Plain is a live firing range with very real dangers, so you should never cut across it if the red flags are flying. Even when the flags are down, you need to be vigilant for 75-tonne Challenger tanks travelling at up to 60km/h with very limited crew vision as well as other, even faster vehicles.

Top Bottom