Kingston-upon -Hull ..Crossing it at night ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
First week of May we are going to Hornsea late afternoon for fish & chips by the beach .. Me, Julie, Connor, Molly, Ella, Riley, our daughter Amy .. and Digby Dog.
I’m cycling home ..
Assuming setting off about 1900hrs along the old rail track to KUH I’ll be traveling across the city late evening ....
Cycle Travel etc seem to get a bit woolly when it comes to traversing the city..

Is there a simple to follow, cycle friendly route, from the north east of the city to the south west / bridge area ?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Can't help but I was born and bought up in Hull and night time is probably the best time to see it (or not lol)...

First week of May we are going to Hornsea late afternoon for fish & chips by the beach .. Me, Julie, Connor, Molly, Ella, Riley, our daughter Amy .. and Digby Dog.
I’m cycling home ..
Assuming setting off about 1900hrs along the old rail track to KUH I’ll be traveling across the city late evening ....
Cycle Travel etc seem to get a bit woolly when it comes to traversing the city..

Is there a simple to follow, cycle friendly route, from the north east of the city to the south west / bridge area ?

Being local, I haven't followed the Trans Pennine Trail signs, but a tried it a bit back out of curiosity, and didn't find them to be clear, or the best route. I raised it, and I'm told it's improved, but I didn't check.

If simple is the main priority, I'd suggest following the trail to Mount Pleasant, and then turning up a little bit to pick up the cycle path that runs from Foster St to Duesbury St, then left along Princes Ave, and on to Spring Bank West, then follow your nose/signs to the bridge.

More scenic would be involve following the trans-pennine route to Witham. and then turn right, and follow George St, round Queens Gardens, and along Princes Dock, over the new footbridge, and picking up the trail along the Humber Estuary.

http://www.hull.gov.uk/sites/hull/files/media/WEST HULL LOCAL TRAVEL MAP UPDATED.pdf

http://www.hull.gov.uk/sites/hull/files/media/NORTH HULL LOCAL TRAVEL MAP UPDATED.pdf

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
On an evening / night, might not be the worse thing using main roads to get back to 'south west' Hull Hessle? (never used the phrase South Hull before...) - calling @Soltydog for your thoughts?

You could use the rail trail part of the way but then come off at A164 head to Holderness High Road, Holderness Road, go through Hull City Centre, aim for Anlaby Road, then turn off at Pickering Road and Head to Hessle (South West Hull)

berty bassett

Legendary Member
try the cycle.travel route - you will be surprised
i travelled from north east heading south , never been that area before
went virtually straight through and most of it was traffic free or on 4ft wide cycle tracks - really surprised how easy it went , can remember going through some huge park what was lovely
everything went lovely till i was ploughed down about 50mile down the road :sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As long as you are armed, I reckon you'll be OK

Me and a small group of mates cycled along the Quayside, Newcastle, on a Saturday night at the end of a 100 mile ride from Berwick.

Lots of young ladies wearing very little shouted some rather rude remarks at us.

All meant in good fun, but we kept our heads down and kept pedalling.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
On an evening / night, might not be the worse thing using main roads to get back to 'south west' Hull Hessle? (never used the phrase South Hull before...) - calling @Soltydog for your thoughts?

You could use the rail trail part of the way but then come off at A164 head to Holderness High Road, Holderness Road, go through Hull City Centre, aim for Anlaby Road, then turn off at Pickering Road and Head to Hessle (South West Hull)

I've not cycled the TPT for years now, too many dog walkers & gates for me :blush: As the route crosses the A164 there used to be a male dogging area, not sure if it still is, but don't hang around that area just incase :laugh:
Cycling with young children & a dog, you may be best sticking to the TPT route :okay: I used to follow it to Witham & then into the centre from there. With the new Covid cycle lanes, you may be able to cross the city quite safely now, Witham, Ferensway, Anlaby Rd would be my recommendation 👍
If you want to escape the family for a short while, give me a shout & I'll join you for a pint & lead you astray :laugh:

Top Bottom