Kirsty Alley RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow, what a young age to go. Loved Her in Cheers. RIP.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Sad news...Star Trek's original Saavik in The Wrath of Khan ( replaced by Robin Curtis later).

1670316967653.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, that's sad!

I feel a bit guilty now... I was saying to a friend yesterday that many of the cast of the cast of Cheers had not aged well (or had already died). I didn't know that she was ill.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I was sad to read that. Also that Celebrity Big Brother, of all things, and other reality TV stuff is what younger people will remember her for rather than some of the good roles that she played in her career.

I feel a bit guilty now... I was saying to a friend yesterday that many of the cast of the cast of Cheers had not aged well (or had already died).

That's a bit harsh - when one of the younger cast members is/was 71! Meanwhile, Woody went a bit bonkers, but in acting terms goes from strength to strength. As does Ted Danson (in a slightly lower key fashion).

RIP Kirstie ❤️

ColinJ

That's a bit harsh - when one of the younger cast members is/was 71! Meanwhile, Woody went a bit bonkers, but in acting terms goes from strength to strength. As does Ted Danson (in a slightly lower key fashion).

RIP Kirstie ❤️
I saw recent photographs of them and many looked awful - not awful for being old - many people in their 70s look fine. More like they just hadn't looked after themselves well. That's why I felt guilty about Kirsty Alley - she had probably been really ill when the unflattering photo I'd seen was taken.

Ted Danson and Bebe Neuwirth (Lilith) look really good for their age. Woody Harrelson is still only 61 though so you wouldn't expect him to look old and knackered anyway.

Sad news...Star Trek's original Saavik in The Wrath of Khan ( replaced by Robin Curtis later).

View attachment 670269

A money issue apparently, she (rightly) asked for more as the part was to be greatly expanded and they didn't want to deal.

Was Saavik played by another actor again later as well or am I misremembering?

I might have to watch this again later, I've seen it many times but it's so good👩‍🚀

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I saw recent photographs of them and many looked awful - not awful for being old - many people in their 70s look fine. More like they just hadn't looked after themselves well. That's why I felt guilty about Kirsty Alley - she had probably been really ill when the unflattering photo I'd seen was taken.

Ted Danson and Bebe Neuwirth (Lilith) look really good for their age. Woody Harrelson is still only 61 though so you wouldn't expect him to look old and knackered anyway.
Just because of this I googled and went to one of those alwful clickbait "you'll never guess what the cast of Cheers look like now" sites. They generally looked OK. Just a bit older. But generally not as haggard as me.

Anyway RIP to Kirstie Alley

ColinJ

Just because of this I googled and went to one of those alwful clickbait "you'll never guess what the cast of Cheers look like now" sites. They generally looked OK. Just a bit older. But generally not as haggard as me.
I was multitasking and didn't really read what I was clicking on, but yes - that's exactly what it was. I think they had deliberately found the worst possible photographs to use.

Anyway RIP to Kirstie Alley
Indeed. :sad:

I would quite like to watch Cheers again but it is no longer available on Netflix in the UK.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I lived in the states in the 80s I had a teeny little portable B&W telly on which I can only remember ever watching four things:

Star Trek (The Original Series of course, this was pre TNG)
The Honeymooners - a brilliant 1950s sitcom that never made it over to the UK, I don't think. The characters formed the basis for the Flintstones.
NY Mets baseball matches
Cheers

This might not be the right time to mention it but I preferred the ones with Diane in them. Mainly because whatsername, Danny deVito's wife was so good at insulting her. Sorry Kirstie.

We used to call my local bar Cheers in Hell. The place where everybody thinks they know your name, but they get it wrong.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
A money issue apparently, she (rightly) asked for more as the part was to be greatly expanded and they didn't want to deal.

Was Saavik played by another actor again later as well or am I misremembering?

I might have to watch this again later, I've seen it many times but it's so good👩‍🚀

Saavik was played by Robin Curtis in Star Trek: The Search for Spock & briefly at the start of Star Trek : The Voyage Home. Curtis also did a two part ST TNG episode playing a Romulan villainess. Looks like she might have given up acting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Curtis

Top Bottom