Kittel puts his money where his mouth is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm willing to chip in for Contador to do it too:whistle:

PhunkyPhil

Regular
Remember there is a difference between being a current doper and a past doper like Contador is. Contador would probably pass the questions based on current activity as he can't be a doper now as he is nowhere near as good as he used to be.

Reactions: gaz

PhunkyPhil

Regular
Maybe. Its probably a bit of a publicity stunt to do the test anyway. If you are winning stages in the Tour de France you get tested so it was obvious he wasn't on something assuning all the samples have been tested by now.

Its just a shame doping keeps getting brough up.

OP
OP
The Couch

The Couch

Über Member
Yeh, like nobody has ever managed to get round the testing procedures when they win a stage or the Tour (7 times)
No way... that could never happen... the UCI is very strict in their doping testing, it says so on their website:
The International Cycling Union considers riders’ health and the promotion of sporting ethics as high priorities.
Its anti-doping programme is now recognised by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) as one of the best in the world.

PhunkyPhil

Regular
You can't compare the drugs testing in all sports now to how it was 10 years ago its taken much more seriously. Plus the drugs test aren't conducted by the UCI.
Lance and his buddies got away from failing tests by avoiding providing samples by hiding, this isn't possible now as you get taken imediatly after the stage to provide a sample.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
You have to remember that when he says he's not doping. It basically means head not taking any currently banned substance. It does not mean that he is not doing anything at all which is currently permitted by the rules. Kittle has been implicated in the practice of UV light blood irradiation in 2007 and 2008 which remained legal in cycling until January 2011, no crime there then and he has been cleared of any wrong doing.
So is he complying with the rules as written, I expect so and believe so..... Is he complying with the unwritten spirit of fair competition and sportsmanship? - I dare say we all have our own views on that based on the fact that he has proven he is willing to drain his own blood.

I do support Kittels strong anti doping stance, but it should have been plain for him to see that getting mixed up with needles and blood specifically was always going to be risky business and prompt further questions in the future

All this proves imho is his PR team are at the top of their game.

oldroadman

Veteran
You have to remember that when he says he's not doping. It basically means head not taking any currently banned substance. It does not mean that he is not doing anything at all which is currently permitted by the rules. Kittle has been implicated in the practice of UV light blood irradiation in 2007 and 2008 which remained legal in cycling until January 2011, no crime there then and he has been cleared of any wrong doing.
So is he complying with the rules as written, I expect so and believe so..... Is he complying with the unwritten spirit of fair competition and sportsmanship? - I dare say we all have our own views on that based on the fact that he has proven he is willing to drain his own blood.

I do support Kittels strong anti doping stance, but it should have been plain for him to see that getting mixed up with needles and blood specifically was always going to be risky business and prompt further questions in the future

All this proves imho is his PR team are at the top of their game.

Good question. Professional sport will always go to the edge of what is allowed, because just like people will in any other profession, it's their living. The Americans openly admitted to it in the 80's, using blood manipulation/analagous transfusion, to improve athletic track and field performance (and win Olympic golds). Doubtless others were doing it too. The Finnish middle distance runners of yesteryear were alleged to be doing it, Viren would appear from nowhere, run a world record, disappear again for a while, come back, repeat, etc., etc.
What was legal then was just that - legal. It's entirely wrong to look back with today's rules to yesterday's performances, the law does not apply retrospectively.
So far as the commentabout reporting for dope control is concerned, when national ADAs did the testing you always had a chaperone who followed you everywhere, and at one time had an hour to show at the control, later reduced to 30 minutes. Any other agency did not sem to do this until UCI introduced their own chaperone programme (getting something right!!).
People get round testing by having expert doctors and medical support, so that on race day it's all OK., unless they are incompetent or stupid. Out of competition testing is when you find the dirty ones.
Just let's not confuse anyone's moral agenda with regulations, any sport has "professional fouls" which are part and parcel of the work (see footy, rugby, for plenty of clear examples). Any professional sportperson who does not know what the rules allow and use that to best advantage is a fool. Marginal gains, anyone?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
If I remember correctly, Tyler Hamilton passed a polygraph test when being questioned about EPO use...squeezing the bum cheeks works...apparently...someone told me...honest...

Top Bottom