Kitting out a van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think nautical would be the way to go. Usually compact and light. When we did van conversions, portholes worked out well. I'd keep the permanent stuff like cabinets and such to a minimum. Better to be able to reconfigure. Alcohol stove may be a good option as well. Fold down bunk may be a good idea.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
I bought this

IMG_20140816_104140_zps6198470f.jpg

If I didn't then a 7 seater style vehicle like a Galaxy/Sharan and just go light, sleeping bag and the essentials.

Can be great fun, limitless scope. Just finished my second one. First a Merc Vito a few years ago, now a Renault Master, a bit bigger and more upmarket. Any sensible DIYer can do most things. Just think about exactly what you want and how far you want to go. Planning can save a load of grief. Pretty much everything you need available on the net. Insurance not a problem, just decide if it's 'just a van' or full blown conversion and insure accordingly.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have racking in there already that's full of stuff I have just moved from van to van for the last 20 years . I don't even know what is in there but it will come in handy one day :laugh:
I was thinking of just turning that racking into a kitchen type worktop with all that handy stuff stored under it .
A sink with a sump pump into a 10L water barrel would do for water to a tap . Gas cooker run on a small butane gas bottle and you have hot water . Portapotty incase you really really really cant find anywhere else to go .
A fold up bed may be a better idea as I can remove that and still have use of the van .
Loving the ideas and pictures so far :thumbsup:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm waiting to see what falls into my lap.
Nope, it's a beagle.
(Mrs. GA is, however, being from the Upper Peninsula of the great state of Michigan,
a tree hugging/ van-driving/van converting sort
who would like nothing better than for me to get a
Dodge Caravan and kit it out in a nautical/beach theme.
)

Berties

Fast and careful!
I used my BIL's Henry hymer van last year ,garage on the back for the bikes ,shower, toilet ,full kitchen ,double bed,tv,the list goes on ,that's as rough as I walk to get now

Top Bottom