Km or miles? (Cidre not Cider) and is Strava where it's at?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jaco45er

Jaco45er

I think I am torn between the Euro and the pound. At work, I have to measure distances at work, for example, 200 metres, would never dream of doing it in yards, and I couldn't order the materials in yards anyway. However, on the bike? Km just doesn't seem right to me. Think I will stick with miles ;). Who knows, a few more road miles under my belt I might be converted, then again, old dog, new tricks ;)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A bit of both. My clubs' century ride is metric, and many rides are listed as both, except those among the Amish.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's about time we decided which way to jump as a nation.

Base 10 is clearly more sensible imo but I appreciate a switch would be costly.

Much as I like being a Britainer(!) our units of measurement were dreamn't up by the mathematically challenged eg 240 pennies in a pound or 14 lbs in a stone.

sleaver

Veteran
I use km mainly because when I run, common distances are in kilometres. Take the 5k and 10k distances, you don't hear anyone saying 3.1 or 6.2 miles.

Also, if you were to measure something, would you use mm/cm/m or inches?

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I was educated in metric, but recently started to use feet and inches at work. So much easier to find half or a quarter of a measurement and such a practical system, fraction= use a rule, decimal=use a micrometer. Metric is OK for the mathematiclly challenged who need to count on their fingers.

zizou

Veteran
Alot of roadies use KM because of the European influence of pro cycling. Similar reason for people talking of bidons and so on.

I'm probably a bit odd in that i think (outwith the track at least) of distance and speed in terms of miles / mph but height gained in terms of metres!

Miles all the way- will the tour of Britain be covered in miles I wonder...

Official site is using km... eg http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage1/scotland_route.php#.UiOJazbAuO0

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Were we not supposed to be all on the metric system by now, the way we were told in High School? I think there were also supposed to be flying cars, universal employment, and elimination of poverty and disease by now as well. We will have to keep at it. Slide Rules at the ready.

Alot of roadies use KM because of the European influence of pro cycling. Similar reason for people talking of bidons and so on.

I'm probably a bit odd in that i think (outwith the track at least) of distance and speed in terms of miles / mph but height gained in terms of metres!
That's American (North that is) miles and metres, or at least its that way on GarminConnect.

Top Bottom