KMC bike chain link removal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulwho100

Hi there, I have just bought a new KMC bike chain for my 7 speed road bike but I need to take about 4 links out but I don't know how to because the links are different so I was wondering if anyone knows how to shorten it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What do you mean the links are differant?

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

N
Are you talking about the difference between the ''outer'' link and the ''inner'' link? If so, you'll need to connect two ''inners.''
No the chain is too long so I need to take about 4 links out but the pins are different and they won't come out, hold on will put a pic up

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Not sure what you mean. A standard chain breaker tool should push the pins out. Take out 4 link to leave two "inner" sections then use a KMC quick link to join up the chain. Easy Peasy.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I can't imagine what the problem is with shortening a KMC chain to a Shimano chain. Just work out the correct length get the cahin tool and chop it to the correct size.

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

Not sure what you mean. A standard chain breaker tool should push the pins out. Take out 4 link to leave two "inner" sections then use a KMC quick link to join up the chain. Easy Peasy.
I can't imagine what the problem is with shortening a KMC chain to a Shimano chain. Just work out the correct length get the cahin tool and chop it to the correct size.
DSC00262edit.jpg

when i tried to take the pin out my chain breaker snapped

172traindriver

Legendary Member
How good is your chain breaker? I know it may sound silly, but I had a cheap one and I just managed to bend the pin.
I bought a decent quality one that is much sturdier and I never had any problems since.
Incidently I shortened an 8 speed KMC chain for my winter bike last sunday as the old one had reached the maximum wear on the chain checking guage. I encountered no problems with it whatsoever.
It would just be nice to ride this weekend, but that doesn't look too hopeful :sad:

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

How good is your chain breaker? I know it may sound silly, but I had a cheap one and I just managed to bend the pin.
I bought a decent quality one that is much sturdier and I never had any problems since.
Incidently I shortened an 8 speed KMC chain for my winter bike last sunday as the old one had reached the maximum wear on the chain checking guage. I encountered no problems with it whatsoever.
It would just be nice to ride this weekend, but that doesn't look too hopeful :sad:
ok thanks will get a better chain breaker

Top Bottom