KMX X class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I've got a chance of one second hand and just wondered how feasible they are to convert to a touring trike? By this I mean fitting a decent set of lights, being able to fit a pannier on the back and fitting mirrors, a flag and a better front chainset, *possibly* adding a trailer to it as well... Does anyone know if this can be done?

I realise it's a budget recumbent, but if the above are doable, it's definitely worth it.

Thanks in advance
Sean

tongskie01

I've got a chance of one second hand and just wondered how feasible they are to convert to a touring trike? By this I mean fitting a decent set of lights, being able to fit a pannier on the back and fitting mirrors, a flag and a better front chainset, *possibly* adding a trailer to it as well... Does anyone know if this can be done?

I realise it's a budget recumbent, but if the above are doable, it's definitely worth it.

Thanks in advance
Sean

not sure if its the same spec as kmx st i got it from ebay. wheels upgraded to racing tires 20 inches wheels in front and 26 wheel rear. should be okay to have carrier/pannier at the back and swing mirror at the bar end. front lights not so sure could do with attaching front light on helmet.

tongskie01

Looks close enough, cheers :smile:

i know just got that from ebay. here is another one....rack is attached to the seat frame where the rear mudguard is attached by a metal plate..... my kmx.jpg i hope this helps.

eldridgepaul

Thanks in advance
Sean

KMX make a front light bracket, rear pannier and a flag with bracket but these are for the newer range. KMX will be able to tell you if they will fit or not. I fitted a mirror to the top of the handlebars on my KMX. The only problem you might find with using the KMX for touring is the weight. My first recumbent was a KMX Cobra but i gave it to my nepfew after about six months and brought a second hand Windcheetah because i found the KMX to wide and to heavy. I had to tip it on to it's side to get through gates etc and the weight was killer. You can fit a new chainset as all the parts are normal bike parts. I removed the stock Sram X5 parts and fitted Sram X9 parts to mine.

byegad

Legendary Member
Weight is the down side but to be honest if you were worried about weight you wouldn't ride a recumbent trike. As you said it's a budget trike but certainly capable of touring, where you will carry extra weight anyway!

eldridgepaul

Weight is not a problem with my new recumbent trike. The new Windcheetah Sportcompact (the first production one made). I'm in love!!!
Weight is the down side but to be honest if you were worried about weight you wouldn't ride a recumbent trike. As you said it's a budget trike but certainly capable of touring, where you will carry extra weight anyway!

byegad

Legendary Member
Weight is not a problem with my new recumbent trike. The new Windcheetah Sportcompact (the first production one made). I'm in love!!!

And it's still the best part of 30lbs. So a DF 'racing bike' is a lot less weight. Like I said if you are worrying that much about weight you don't ride a trike. :biggrin::biggrin:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just done a search og Google pictures and Flikr and this is the only photo I can find witrh one with panniers.

http://fr.zilok.com/location/41065-trike-kmx-x-class.html?l=12662

So it can be done but not ideal I would have thought-

Steve

LeeW was a contributor to the old Cycling Plus forum and did lots of work converting his KMX

His Bloghas some interesting comments and ideas

Top Bottom