Knackered ole knees! BB Ceramic make a difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Would you ask a hospital clerk about your palpitations? No, so don't ask a chain store yoof about bikes. You need to cultivate a realtionship with a good local bike shop where the owner and the mechanic know what they are doing.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I agree with all the comments about the ceramic BB, useful for saving those last few grams of weight (if that's important to you), and pretty hardwearing for some off road applications, but the chance of actually feeling the differance when pedaling is virtually zero. The suggestions to fit gears seem like a good idea, and this would definately make a difference, another possible option (much cheaper and easier) would be to first try a lower single speed gear, a 48 x 18 is about 72 inches with a 27inch wheel, a touch lower with 700c rim, try a 48 x 20 or 21, this would certainly ease the pressure on your knees slightly, obviously you will have a lower top speed, but is this important.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ wot they say. I googled ceramic bearings and they are superior in every way, except price.

regarding efficiency, stainless stell wil same minimal energy so sapping 70% of minimal you aren't gomnna notice I suspect. can't see how it can help knees since the by far larter effort is tunring the rear wheel to go forwards.

Top Bottom