Knee burn and neck ache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

I'm not sure if this is a bike fit problem or an 'I'm not very fit' question, so i'll ask it here.

When I cycle, I get muscle burn in the thigh muscles just above my knees. Nowhere else on my thighs, and calves are absolutely fine too - in fact I don't really even notice them when i'm cycling. I'm wondering, is this usual and due to my unfit-ness, or could it be a bike fit problem? I'm guessing if it's cos i'm unfit, the more I cycle the better it'll get.....
I think i need to lower the seat a bit anyway as I've been getting neck ache at the base of my neck, but i don't know if this will help or hinder the knee problem.

lukesdad

Thighs- muscle ache.

Neck - could be the same thing,the head is a heavy object especially if you have a large brain :biggrin:

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

Saddle too low??? Gosh!!!
Well, I'll raise it (and the handlebars) and see how it feels, and then lower it and see what happens. At least it's not TOTALLY due to my relative unfit-ness!

Ben M

Saddle too low??? Gosh!!!
Well, I'll raise it (and the handlebars) and see how it feels, and then lower it and see what happens. At least it's not TOTALLY due to my relative unfit-ness!

How high is your saddle at the moment? A good guide is that if you sit on your seat and put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of its rotation, your leg should be just locked out. This means that when you're pedalling with the ball of your foot there is a slight bend in your knee.

Top Bottom