knee pain/IT Band

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

belshc4120

Regular
Hello

i have been cycling for around 8 months and have progressed from 16 mile rides at 14 mph to 75-90 mile rides at 17mph. I have never expereinced any pain in this time and have fallen in love with cycling.

2 weeks ago i did a 75 mile ride(hiily terrain) then the day after did a 60 mile ride(flat terrain). about 10 mile into the second days riding i developed a pain in my IT band/ side of my knee.

I had a few days rest and then tried again and the pain was still there so i had a full week off. i then tried again and the pain was still there after 8 mile.

I therefore went to see a physio who said my legs where really tight,epecially my IT band. she then worked as many of the knotts out as she could and said give it a couple of days and it should be fine. i went out this morning(4 days after massage) and the pain was there after about 8 miles into a 30 miles ride. the pain wasnt as bad as it had been but it was still causing more than enough discomfort especially on hills.

My question today is 2 part:

-is it a physio i need to continue to see or does this sound like something a doctor should take a look at?
-has anyone had anythign similar who could offer advise.

Im keen to get back to longer disntaces and enjoying it properly but i dont want to cause lasting damage.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Foam roller - proper stretching post ride

Stu Smith

Veteran
Foam roller for sure..you will know when you are rolling correctly it hurts :sad: Don't miss the stretching after your rides..And stretch even on your rest days...I find it boring but it really helps..

Broadside

Guru
I have just got over an IT Band strain, the initial physio session really hurt a lot. I backed off on the cycling (but didn't completely stop) and did most of the rehab at home using a foam roller, they are very good.

As Stu Smith says you will know when you have got the technique right because it is very uncomfortable when using the roller. For the IT Band recovery I used the roller on the front of my thigh (lying on the floor over the roller), then the side of my thigh and then at the intermediate point between the two. I can notice the benefit almost immediately after using it. My strain took about 3 weeks to stop bothering me and then 4 weeks before I was back to usual intensity cycling.

Top Bottom