knee pain when starting off cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrismisterx

So been doing a couple of miles at a time learning and today decided to go my furthest so far before the bike goes into the shop for repairs so I can compare how the bike is after.

The small trips never any problems but today at around the 15 mile mark started to feel knee pain in both knees. Is this a normal fitness thing or could it be a sign that the bike is set up wrong?

I did have burning in the thighs ( couple of steep hills for me and a strong breeze ), the hills won and i had to walk up twice at the 3/4 mark but i just thought that was fitness.

Also my hmmm how to put it..... under carriage feels a little sore, any tips or tricks for these riding pains for a newbie?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It is very subjective, particularly when it has been such a long time. But with me (very vaguely speaking) if the pain is at the back of the knee, the saddle is too high and this is often accompanied with lower back pain. If the pain is at the front of the knee, it normally means the saddle is too low.

DO NOT take my work for it as it can be quite personal and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for causing more issues.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
So been doing a couple of miles at a time learning

today at around the 15 mile mark

There's your answer, perhaps you have upped the distance to rapidly and your body is telling you to slow down.

the bike goes into the shop for repair

I thought you had decided to spend £300-£400 on a new one instead for your anniversary ;-)

I did have burning in the thighs

Good

under carriage feels a little sore

Then buy a £5 Gel Saddle Cover

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

I thought you had decided to spend £300-£400 on a new one instead for your anniversary ;-)

We still are 20th Anniversary is next year and we both agreed 2 new bikes and a weekend away on them is in order, gives plenty of time to work out what to buy.

So much choice need to choose well as these will be quite special bikes for us I think.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The small trips never any problems but today at around the 15 mile mark started to feel knee pain in both knees. Is this a normal fitness thing or could it be a sign that the bike is set up wrong?
Probably saddle position is wrong. www.SheldonBrown.com/pain.html#knees

I did have burning in the thighs ( couple of steep hills for me and a strong breeze ), the hills won and i had to walk up twice at the 3/4 mark but i just thought that was fitness.
Could be. Did you give up because you couldn't breathe any more, didn't have strength to push the pedals round more or it was painful?

Also my hmmm how to put it..... under carriage feels a little sore, any tips or tricks for these riding pains for a newbie?
Probably the wrong saddle for you for that bike. It might be time to measure your bum and see if one of the widely-popular saddles like the Charge Spoon might fit you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA

vickster

Legendary Member
Burning thighs, sore knees, saddle too low?
Do you stretch after riding to ease tightness?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Probably the wrong saddle for you for that bike. It might be time to measure your bum and see if one of the widely-popular saddles like the Charge Spoon might fit you.
But of course it might not be if your knees hurt because your saddle is too low, you'll be unable to take enough weight on your legs, so it'll all be on your bum and you'll be sitting on your bike rather than riding it, which will get uncomfortable.

Or if your knees hurt because your saddle is too high, you'll be rocking from side to side across the saddle, grinding your bits against it, which will also get uncomfortable.

It may well all be down to the saddle position, rather than the saddle itself.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Google Jimlangley bike fit
On phone atm so I don't have the link

Then buy a £5 Gel Saddle Cover

OP DONT Buy a £5 gel cover :eek: All they do is promote another degree of movement which causes more chaffing and soreness.

IMO if a knee pain doesn't disappear in a few minutes (which might be fitness) its a set up problem and burning thighs point to the saddle being too low.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Get the saddle position right and expect to have to do lower leg raises for a few weeks to wake up your VMO muscles if you up the mileage. 200 reps a day while watching TV is fine. After a few weeks you never have to do them again, provided you keep cycling.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
The knee pain as mention above, nothing to add.

Undercarriage? don't mind it too much is normal that it hurts if you were doing only a couple of miles till now. No secrets, the more you do it the better it will feel. Just make sure they don't become sores and if they do make sure they don't get infected and if they do... Get off the bike ;)

Top Bottom